Search for location

Brittany

Brittany (pronounced ; Gallo: Bertaèyn, pronounced) is a cultural region in the north-west of France. Previously a kingdom and then a duchy, Brittany was united to the Kingdom of France in 1532 as a province. Brittany has also been referred to as Less, Lesser or Little Britain (as opposed to Great Britain). Brittany is considered as one of the six Celtic nations. Brittany occupies the northwest peninsula of continental Europe in northwest France. It is bordered by the English Channel to the north, the Celtic Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Bay of Biscay to the south....

Brittany (administrative region)

Brittany ; is one of the 27 regions of France. It occupies a large peninsula in the northwest of the country, lying between the English Channel to the north and the Bay of Biscay to the south. Its capital is Rennes. Territory The region of Brittany is made up of 80% of the former Duchy and Province of Brittany. The remaining 20% of the province is the Loire-Atlantique department which now lies inside the Pays de la Loire region, whose capital, Nantes, was the historical capital of the Duchy of Brittany....

Brittany Farms-The Highlands, Pennsylvania

Brittany Farms-The Highlands is a census-designated place (CDP) in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 3,695 at the 2010 census. At the 2000 census, it was listed as "Brittany Farms-Highlands" CDP. Geography Brittany Farms-The Highlands is located at (40.272656, -75.215680). According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of, all of it land. Demographics As of the 2010 census, Brittany Farms-The Highlands was 90.8% White, 2.0% Black or African American, 3.7% Asian, 0.2% some other race, and 0.9% were two or more races. 2....

Lorient South Brittany Airport

Lorient South Brittany Airport or Aéroport de Lorient Bretagne Sud, also known as Lorient-Lann-Bihoué Airport, is the airport serving the city of Lorient. It is situated 5 km west-northwest of Lorient, a commune of the Morbihan département in the Brittany region of France. The airport is comparatively large, 3 km by 3 km, which is due to its being built during the Second World War to support German submarine operations from the nearby base in Lorient....

Brittany American Cemetery and Memorial

The Brittany American Cemetery and Memorial is located in Saint-James, Normandy, France, near the northeastern edge of Brittany. It contains the remains of 4,410 of World War II American soldiers, most of whom lost their lives in the Normandy and Brittany campaigns of 1944. Along the retaining wall of the memorial terrace are inscribed the names of 498 of the missing. Rosettes mark the names of soldiers who have been found. History The Brittany American Cemetery, in extent, lies among the hedgerows in rolling farm country in Normandy near the border with Brittany in France....

University of Western Brittany

The University of Western Brittany (Université de Bretagne Occidentale, UBO) is a French university, located in Brest, in the Academy of Rennes....

Tomb of Francis II, Duke of Brittany

The tomb of Francis II, Duke of Brittany is a monument located in Nantes, in the Cathedral of St. Peter. The project was commissioned by Anne of Brittany, Queen of France, who was the daughter of Francis and his second wife Margaret of Foix, who is also depicted beside Francis. The tomb was originally located in the chapel of the Carmelites in Nantes. Francis II had wished that his body rest there, to join the remains of his first wife Margaret of Brittany. The tomb eventually received the body of Francis and both his wives, though only his second wife (Anne's mother) is depicted....

The Singing Stones of Brittany

The 'Pierre Sonnantes' or Singing Stones of Brittany are located on the left bank of the river L'Arguenon opposite the ruined castle of Gilles de Bretagne at Notre-Dame-le-Guildo, near Dinard in the Cotes D'Armor. The stones are round and smooth, shiny black and extremely large, weighing in excess of ten tonnes each and are made of a heavy metallic stone that rings like a bell if struck by another smaller piece of the same stone. There are hundreds of tonnes of them and there is no indication of where they came from or how they got there....

More options