Latitude: 40.9414

Longitude: -73.8644

Region: --

Yonkers, New York

The images and pictures on this page illustrate facts about Yonkers, New York. Yonkers is the fourth most populous city in the U.S. state of New York (behind New York City, Buffalo, and Rochester), and the most populous city in Westchester County, with a population of 195,976 (according to the 2010 Census). Yonkers borders the New York City borough of the Bronx and is located two miles (3 km) north of Manhattan at the cities' closest points.

The city is home to several attractions: the Hudson River Museum, the Sherwood House, the Science Barge, Cross County Shopping Center, Ridge Hill Shopping Center, and Yonkers Raceway, a harness racing track that has renovated its grounds and clubhouse and added legalized video slot machine gambling in 2006 in a "racino" called Empire City. There are also many large shopping areas along Central Park Avenue (NY 100), informally called "Central Ave" by area residents, a name it takes officially a few miles north in White Plains.

History

The land on which the city is built was once part of a 24,000 acre (97 km²) land grant called Colen Donck that ran from the current Manhattan/Bronx border at Marble Hill northwards for, and from the Hudson River eastwards to the Bronx River. This grant was purchased in July 1645 by Adriaen van der Donck, a lawyer, scholar, and author who had emerged as a leader of the New Netherland colony. Van der Donck was known locally as the Jonkheer or Jonker (etymologically, "young gentleman," derivation of old Dutch jong (young) and heer ("lord"); in effect, "Esquire"), a word from which the name "Yonkers" is directly derived. Van der Donck built a saw mill near where the Nepperhan Creek met the Hudson; the Nepperhan is now also known as the Saw Mill River. Van der Donck and his family were killed in the Peach Tree War.

Near the site of van der Donck's mill is Philipse Manor Hall, a Colonial-era manor house which today serves as a museum and archive, offering many glimpses into life before the American Revolution. The original structure (later enlarged) was built around 1682 by Frederick Philipse and his wife Margaret Hardenbroeck. Frederick was a wealthy Dutchman who by the time of his death had amassed an enormous estate, which encompassed the entire modern City of Yonkers, as well as several other Hudson River towns. Philipse's great-grandson, Frederick Philipse III, was a prominent Loyalist during the American Revolution, who, because of his political leanings, was forced to flee to England. All the lands that belonged to the Philipse family were confiscated and sold.

Maps and images

The street maps and aerial photographs below can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about Yonkers, New York

Wikipedia contains even more information about Yonkers, New York.

Close places of interest

Oakland Cemetery (Yonkers, New York) (1.37 km)

Oakland Cemetery is located at 2 Saw Mill River Road in the Whitney Young section of Yonkers, New York. It was first established in around 1783 and was originally used to bury soldiers from the Revolutionary War operating under the name of St. John’s Burial Grounds. It belonged to St. John’s Parish. It was incorporated in 1875 and changed to Oakland Cemetery. In time graves from the Civil War also filled the cemetery, as did those of other settlers of Yonkers who died. The cemetery is divided into two halves with a hill separating the western lower half from the eastern upper half.

Sarah Lawrence College (1.83 km)

Sarah Lawrence College is a private and independent liberal arts college in the United States. It is located in southern Westchester County, New York, in the city of Yonkers, north of Manhattan. The College is known for its rigorous academic standards, low student-to-faculty ratio, and highly individualized course of study. The school models its approach to education after the Oxford/Cambridge system of one-on-one student-faculty tutorials, which are a key component in all areas of study.

Sacred Heart High School (Yonkers, New York) (1.99 km)

Sacred Heart High School is a co-educational private, Roman Catholic high school in Yonkers, New York. It is in the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. It is the only Catholic high school in Yonkers. It was founded in 1923 and named after the most holy Sacred Heart of Jesus. At the time of its founding, the Sacred Heart community was predominately composed of Irish-American immigrants, which has had a large influence on the school's image and mascot. Sacred Heart is known as "The Fighting Irish".

Tibbetts Brook Park (2.06 km)

Tibbetts Brook Park is a park located in Yonkers in Westchester County, New York. Opened in 1927, it was one of the first developed parks in Westchester County and currently serves residents with activities that include swimming, hiking, sports, nature watching and fishing. The park was named for George Tibbetts, a Briton who had settled the land in 1668. Tibbetts is bordered by the Cross County Parkway to the north, Saw Mill River Parkway to the west, McLean Avenue to the south and Midland Avenue to the East. Tibbetts Brook Park is .

Emerson Middle School (Yonkers, New York) (2.7 km)

Emerson Middle School was a public middle school located in Yonkers, New York, United States. Emerson Middle School was run by the Yonkers Public Schools. The school magnet centers around its Global Sciences and Technology Academy. The last administration staff of the school was Principal Robert Riccuiti with assistant principals, Marwan Sayegh and Tiombe Walls-Majors. School changed into Cross Hill Academy, a PK-8 school in September 2010. The new principal is Michael Walpole, the previous assistant principal of the Enrico Fermi School.

Other mentions of Yonkers, New York

Leake and Watts Services

Leake and Watts Services, Inc. is a not-for-profit social services agency in New York which provides services for children and families in the areas of foster care, adoption, special education, Head Start and other related subjects. It has facilities in Yonkers, New York in Westchester County and The Bronx and Upper Manhattan in New York City. The agency began as the Leake and Watts Orphan Asylum in Manhattan. History John George Leake (1752–1827) was a New York lawyer who had no children or siblings. He died on June 2, 1827 at his home on Park Row in Manhattan.

Hebrew National Orphan Home

Hebrew National Orphan Home (HNOH) was an orphanage in Manhattan in New York City. It was founded on December 5, 1912, when a group raised $64 million toward establishing a Jewish orthodox home for the care of orphaned and destitute Jewish boys. On October 14, 1913, a committee of the Bessarabian Verband, a group of Romanian Jews, paid the first installment of $400 for the premises at 57 East 7th Street between First and Second Avenues – in what was then the Lower East Side and is now the East Village. On June 7, 1914 HNOH House officially opened with accommodations for 50 boys.

Elmsford, New York

Elmsford is a village in Westchester County, New York, United States. Roughly one mile square, the village is fully contained within the borders of the town of Greenburgh. As of the 2010 census, the population of Elmsford was 4,664. History The Elmsford Reformed Church and Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Geography Elmsford is located at (41.053963, -73.815711). According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of, all of it land.
Do you want to read more? There may be more material available. You can search the whole library for more material about Yonkers, New York.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia entries. Weather information is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to Google, Bing Maps and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options