Wellsburg, New York
The clickable images and aerial photographs further below show facts related to Wellsburg, New York. Wellsburg is a village in Chemung County, New York, United States. The population was 580 at the 2010 census. The village is named after a pioneer family.
The Village of Wellsburg is located in the Town of Ashland.The village is located in the southeast part of the town. It is part of the 'Elmira, New York Metropolitan Statistical Area' and is southeast of the City of Elmira.
The area was settled around 1788. The village was incorporated in 1872.
In the 1930s, there were also a Methodist and a Baptist church. Catholics attended services in a Church about 18 miles across the Pennsylvania border (Centerville or Bentley Creek). The village also contained 2bars, 2 grocery stores (Aber, and Stanton), Dalton's meat market, 2 gas stations, a "creamery", an Erie Railroad Depot, Dalton's coal yard, a deteriorated Hotel Alcazar, a Post Office, and Schuyler's Feed, Grain & Lumber Yard. A 4-story School served grades 1-12, with a small playground and a ballfield. Some students were bussed in from surrounding areas. One day in 1939, an "autogyro" landed on that ballfield and remained a short time. Wellsburg had a Mayor and a Constable; the latter being rather "adept" at catching those who overturned outhouses during Halloween.
Occasionally the Chemung River would overflow, usually flooding the short road between Wellsburg and Lowman; but it once flooded Wellsburg to the extent that rowboats could enter the Methodist Church. Local farmers hired kids to do farm chores, usually at $0.50 per-day. Youngsters driving tractors into town (for gas) were a familiar sight. During the WWII war years, students aged 14 & up were allowed days off from school to help local farmers harvest their crops. There was also an "airplane spotter's shack" on the side of a hill, during WWII; teens often served as "spotters".
MapsThe following street maps and aerial photographs on this page can be selected for further inspection.
More information about Wellsburg, New York
Wellsburg is located at (42.011211, -76.727753).
Wellsburg is on the south bank of the Chemung River and is adjacent to the Pennsylvania border. Bentley Creek flows northward through the village to the Chemung River and was a power source to early pioneers.