The clickable images and pictures within this page show data related to Titusville, Florida. Titusville is a city in Brevard County, Florida. The city's population was 43,761 at the 2010 United States Census, and it is the county seat of Brevard County.
Nicknamed "Space City, USA", Titusville is on the Indian River, west of Merritt Island and the Kennedy Space Center and south-southwest of the Canaveral National Seashore. It is a principal city of the Palm Bay–Melbourne–Titusville Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The area was once inhabited by the Ais Indians, who gathered palmetto, cocoplum and seagrape berries. They also fished the Indian River, called the Rio de Ais by Spanish explorers. By 1760, however, the tribe had disappeared due to slave raids, disease and rum. The United States acquired Florida from Spain in 1821. The Seminole Wars delayed settlement.
The community was originally called Sand Point, and a post office was established in 1859, although it closed a few months later. Confederate Colonel Henry T. Titus arrived in 1867 with the intention to build a town on land owned by his wife, Mary Hopkins Titus, daughter of a prominent planter from Darien, Georgia. He laid out roads and in 1870 erected the Titus House, a large one-story hotel next to a saloon. He also donated land for four churches and a courthouse, the latter an effort to get the town designated as county seat.
Titusville could have been called Riceville, but Titus challenged Capt. Clark Rice to a game of dominoes to decide the name. Titus won the game, and Sand Point became Titusville in 1873. It was incorporated as a city in 1887, the year construction began on St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, listed in 1972 on the National Register of Historic Places. At one point, Titusville was nicknamed "The City of Churches".
The Atlantic Coast, St. Johns & Indian River Railroad arrived in 1885 from Enterprise, which was connected by a spur line to the Jacksonville, Tampa & Key West Railroad at Enterprise Junction in present-day DeBary. Henry Flagler extended his Florida East Coast Railroad south from Daytona, with the station built in Titusville in 1892. Tourists arrived, and the Indian River area increasingly became an agricultural and shipping center for pineapple and citrus produce. A wooden bridge was built east to Playalinda Beach in 1922.
Beginning in the late 1950s, the growth of Cape Canaveral, and later the Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, made the community's economy, population and tourism grow considerably. The association with the space program led to the city's two nicknames in the 1960s: Space City USA and Miracle City.
Miracle City Mall opened in 1968. It was built on . There was of covered floor space.
The jail at the county courthouse became overcrowded by the 1980s. Jailbreaks were common. These ceased when a new jailhouse was built in Sharpes, and the prisoners moved there in 1986.