Ternes (Paris Métro)
The maps and aerial photographs on this page show data about Ternes (Paris Métro). Ternes is a station on Paris Métro Line 2, under the Place des Ternes on the border of the 8th and 17th arrondissement of Paris.
The station was opened on 7 October 1902 as part of the extension of line 2 from Étoile to Anvers. The name of the street derives from Villa Externa (Latin for "external house"), a medieval farm and residence of the Bishop of Paris outside the city, that became the name of the locality, which was originally part of Saint-Denis, then Neuilly, and was finally annexed by Paris in 1860. The Barrière des Ternes was a gate (also known as the Barrière du Roule) at the same location built for the collection of taxation as part of the Wall of the Farmers-General; the gate was built between 1784 and 1788 and demolished in 1859.