The maps and pictures on this page present data related to South Valley, New York. South Valley is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. The population was 302 at the 2000 census. The name is from the town's geographical attributes.
The Town of South Valley is in the southwest corner of the county. It is due east from the city of Jamestown.
The town was first settled in 1798 by Quaker missionaries, who attempted to teach the local Indians agriculture and "civilization." The Quakers started a school in 1803 and erected a sawmill in 1812, but the mill caused dissension in the tribe and was pulled down. In 1838 the Quakers helped the Indians from losing their property to a land company. The Town of South Valley was formed in 1847 from the south part of the Town of Randolph.
Much of the town was deserted in 1965 when the Kinzua Dam was constructed, as many small communities that once inhabited the town along the Allegheny River were flooded. Maps of Cattaraugus County produced today will sometimes make note of the now-abandoned hamlet of Onoville (still marked on I-86 and on navigation signs), with a marker that places its location underwater.
The maps and aerial photographs on this page can be selected for further inspection.
More information about South Valley, New York
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of, of which, of it is land and of it (0.46%) is water.
The south town line is the border of Pennsylvania and the west town line is the border of Chautauqua County, New York.
The Allegheny River forms a reservoir in the town.
Adjacent towns and areas
The south town line is the border of the townships of Pine Grove, Elk, and Mead in Warren County, Pennsylvania and Corydon Township in McKean County, Pennsylvania. The west town line is the border of the Town of Carroll in Chautauqua County, New York. To the east is Allegany Reservation and the Town of Coldspring. North of South Valley is the Town of Randolph.
New York State Route 950A (West Bank Perimeter Road) is the primary road through South Valley and leads to I-86 and NY 394 to the northeast. County Road 33 (Bone Run Road) connects NY-950A to U.S. Route 62 in Carroll, and on that road is the town's most prominent privately held business, the Nic-L-Inn restaurant. County Road 89 (Sawmill Run Road) connects to NY-950A in the former community of Onoville and leads directly to US 62 in Frewsburg.
As of the census of 2000, there were 302 people, 126 households, and 89 families residing in the town. The population density was 8.2 people per square mile (3.2/km²). There were 320 housing units at an average density of 8.7 per square mile (3.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.01% White, 0.33% African American, 1.32% Native American and 0.33% Asian.
Wikipedia offers even more information about South Valley, New York
Close places of interest
Martz Observatory (6.63 km) Martz Observatory is a public, not-for-profit organization devoted to the amateur astronomer. The emphasis of the association is observational astronomy, well-rooted in public education and enjoyment of the starry skies. It was founded by, and eventually named after, Marshall Martz, an amateur astronomer from Jamestown, NY who built the first large telescope (a 30 inch reflector) ever used at the observatory. The Marshall Martz Memorial Astronomical Association, Inc.
Elk Township, Warren County, Pennsylvania (9.48 km)Elk Township is a township in Warren County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 551 at the 2000 census. Geography According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of, of which, of it is land and of it (5.86%) is water. Demographics As of the census of 2000, there were 551 people, 214 households, and 167 families residing in the township. The population density was 13.3 people per square mile (5.2/km²). There were 342 housing units at an average density of 8.3/sq mi (3.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.73% White, and 1.
Carroll, New York (11.14 km) Carroll is a town in Chautauqua County, New York, United States. The population was 3,524 at the 2010 census. The town is named after Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Town of Carroll is in the southeast corner of Chautauqua County. The town is southeast of Jamestown, New York. History The area was settled around 1809. The Town of Carroll was established in 1825 from part of the Town of Ellicott. In 1853, part of Carroll was used to form the Town of Kiantone. In 1900, the town had a population of 1,684.
Steamburg, New York (11.16 km)Steamburg is a hamlet in the town of Coldspring in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. The community is located at the eastern terminus of New York State Route 394, at I-86 exit 17. Also converging on the hamlet is New York State Reference Route 950A (West Bank Perimeter Road, a.k.a. Onoville Road), which approaches from the south, and Cattaraugus County Route 10, which approaches from the north. Steamburg, much like a few other communities in the region, has no incorporated government and is not recognized by the U.S.
Coldspring, New York (11.58 km)Coldspring is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. It is located in the southwest part of the county, west of the City of Salamanca. History The first settler arrived around 1818. The Town of Coldspring was established in 1837 from a part of the Town of Napoli. In 1847 and 1848, part of the town was added to the Town of South Valley. In 1965, the former "Town of Elko" was dissolved, and its territory was absorbed by Coldspring. Elko had been formed in 1890 from part of the Town of South Valley and is now the south part of Coldspring.
Other mentions of South Valley, New York
Do you want to read more? There may be more content available. You can search the whole database for more information about South Valley, New York