Porte d'Orléans (Paris Métro)

The clickable maps and aerial photographs within this page show facts related to Porte d'Orléans (Paris Métro). Porte d'Orléans (Général Leclerc) is a station of line 4 of the Paris Métro and a stop on tramway line 3a. It is situated in the 14th Arrondissement, in the quartier of Petit-Montrouge. The station is the former southern terminus of line 4. A terminal loop is provided at the station for trains to turn around to return north towards Porte de Clignancourt. Passengers used to disembark at the arrival platform and then the train proceeded empty via the loop to the departure platform.

History

The station was opened on 30 October 1909 as part of the second section of line 4 opened between Porte d'Orléans and Raspail before it was connected under the Seine on 9 January 1910. In 2006, Paris Tramway Line 3 (now 3a) opened, with a stop at Porte d'Orléans.

The station lies just on the Parisian side of the border with Montrouge, the neighbouring commune. In 2013, line 4 was extended south into Montrouge, with a future extension toward Bagneux planned. This should reduce bus traffic around the Porte d'Orléans.

Street maps

The single maps and images can be selected for further inspection.
 

More information about Porte d'Orléans (Paris Métro)

Forecast (France)

Today's conditions are reported as with a temperature about °C and wind speed of km/h.

Name

The station is named after the Porte de d'Orléans, a gate in the nineteenth century Thiers wall of Paris, which led to the town of Orléans via the road now known as route nationale 20, or N20. Its subtitle is for the World War II general Philippe Leclerc de Hautecloque, known by his nom de guerre of Général Leclerc. On 25 August 1944, Leclerc entered Paris via the Porte d'Orléans with tanks of the 2nd Armored division, on his way to liberate Paris from the German occupation.

A memorial to Leclerc is near the station, between Rue de la Légion Étrangère and Avenue de la Porte-d'Orléans. On the west side of Rue de la Légion Étrangère is Square du Serment-de-Koufra, a park commemorating a pledge made by Leclerc on 2 March 1941, the day after taking the Italian fort at Kufra, Libya: he swore that his weapons would not be laid down until the French flag flew over the cathedrals of Metz and of Strasbourg.

Connections

  • Tramway Line 3a
  • RATP buses 28, 38, 68, 125, 126, 128, 187, 188, 194, 197, 295, 297, 299
  • CEAT buses 10.07, 10.20, 10.21
  • Daniel Meyer buses DM151, DM152
  • Sqybus 475
  • Night buses N14, N21, N122

Station layout

That's not all: Wikipedia offers more information about Porte d'Orléans (Paris Métro).

Close places of interest

Philippe Leclerc de Hauteclocque (0.24 km)

Philippe François Marie, comte de Hauteclocque, then Leclerc de Hauteclocque, by a 1945 decree that incorporated his French Resistance alias Jacques-Philippe Leclerc to his name, (22 November 1902 – 28 November 1947), was a French general during World War II. He became Marshal of France posthumously, in 1952 and is known in France simply as le maréchal Leclerc. Ancestry and family Philippe François Marie de Hauteclocque was born on 22 November 1902 at Belloy-Saint-Léonard in the department of Somme.

Paris School of Economics (0.44 km)

The Paris School of Economics, created on 21 December 2006 in Paris, France, is a French economics department. Foundation and organization Inaugurated by Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin in 2007 and located in Paris, the PSE aims to draw staff from: École normale supérieure, École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA), the University of Paris I: Panthéon-Sorbonne. It is part of the French official research center, the Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS).

Musée Lenine (0.52 km)

The Musée Lenine (59 m²) is a museum devoted to Vladimir Lenin, located at 4, rue Marie-Rose, in the XIVe arrondissement of Paris, France. The museum is open weekdays; admission is free. (Note: it appears that the museum may have closed in late 2007.) The museum contains the reconstructed apartment where Russian communist Vladimir Lenin, his wife Nadezhda Konstantinovna Krupskaya, and her mother lived from July 1909 to June 1912.

Alésia (Paris Métro) (0.58 km)

Alésia is a station of the Paris Métro on line 4 in the 14th arrondissement. The line 4 platforms were opened on 30 October 1909 when the southern section of the line opened between Raspail and Porte d'Orléans. The name refers to Rue d'Alésia, named for the Battle of Alesia between the Gauls of Vercingetorix and the Romans of Julius Caesar. This stop is featured in the animated films "The Twelve Tasks of Asterix" and "Lair of the Beast". The choice of this station is due to the origin of its name.

Saint-Pierre-de-Montrouge (0.62 km)

Saint-Pierre-de-Montrouge is a 19th-century church in Paris, in the Petit-Montrouge quarter of the XIVe arrondissement. It was built from 1863, during Hausmann's redesign of the city, by Joseph Auguste Émile Vaudremer, the architect charged with designing the 14e arrondissement. It occupies a triangular site bounded by the avenue du Maine and the avenue du général-Leclerc, and its bell-tower faces the quarter's central square.

Other mentions of Porte d'Orléans (Paris Métro)

Do you find this interesting? There may be more content available. You can search the entire index for more content about Porte d'Orléans (Paris Métro).

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from various Wikipedia articles. Weather data is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to the services of Google, BING and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options