The selectable images and pictures further below present material related to Paris, Texas. Paris, Texas is a city located northeast of the Dallas–Fort Worth Metroplex in Lamar County, Texas, in the United States. It is situated in Northeast Texas at the western edge of the Piney Woods. Physiographically, these regions are part of the West Gulf Coastal Plain. In 1900, 9,358 people lived in Paris; in 1910, 11,269; in 1920, 15,040; and in 1940, 18,678. As of the 2010 census, the population of the city was 25,171. It is the county seat of Lamar County and serves as a business and employment center for the county.
Local residents like the humorous slogan "Second Largest Paris in the World." Following a tradition of American cities named "Paris", a replica of the Eiffel Tower was constructed in 1993. In 1998, presumably as a response to the 1993 construction of a tower in Paris, Tennessee, the city placed a giant red cowboy hat atop the tower. The current tower is at least the second Eiffel Tower replica built in Paris; the first was constructed of wood and later destroyed by a tornado.
It is governed by a city council as specified in the city's charter adopted in 1948. It has fewer than 100 police officers, and fewer than 100 fire fighters.
The first recorded settlement in the vicinity was in 1826, and settlements were known to be in the area as early as 1824. The town was founded by merchant George W. Wright, who donated of land in February 1844, when the community was also designated the county seat. It was incorporated by the Congress of the Republic of Texas on February 3, 1845. Paris was on the Central National Road of the Republic of Texas, which ran from San Antonio north through Paris to cross the Red River. By the eve of the Civil War, when it had 700 residents, Paris had become a cattle and farming center. It is the site of the first municipally owned and operated abattoir in the United States. Lamar County was one of the few Texas counties that voted against secession, though many of its inhabitants later served in the Confederacy.