The clickable images and aerial photographs further below show information related to Otselic, New York. Otselic is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 1,054 at the 2010 census.
The town is named after a river flowing through it, the Otselic, which is an Oneida word for "place of wild plums."
The Otselic Valley is the predominant feature as well as the connecting route within the town and to the north and south.
The Town of Otselic lies on the north border of Chenango County and is northwest of the City of Norwich.
The first settler arrived around 1800. Many of the original settlers came from Connecticut. The Town of Otselic was founded in 1817 from part of the Town of German.
The year 1833 was notable for a tornado that passed over the town that measured over a mile in width.
Street maps and images
The following street maps and images below can be selected for further inspection.
More information about Otselic, New York
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of, of which is land and (0.11%) is water.
Over 10 square miles or about 7000 acres are state-owned forest lands dedicated to the production of forest products and open to the public for forest-related recreation such as hunting, camping, fishing, hiking and cross country skiing.
The highest altitude is just under 2000 feet above sea level, rising from the lowest elevation of about 1200 feet at the bottom of the Otselic Valley.
The north town line is the border of Madison County.
The Otselic River (sometimes "Otselic Creek") runs through the town and later flows into the Tioughnioga River as part of the Susquehanna River watershed of Chesapeake Bay.
New York State Route 26 intersects New York State Route 80 at Otselic hamlet.
Formerly most of the land was in agriculture, chiefly dairy but since the end of the nineteenth century, farm abandonment has increased and, today, forest cover and early succession forest regrowth dominate the landscape mixed with remaining dairy farms.
The forest cover is mixed hardwoods (maple, cherry, ash, beech, basswood, birch and hemlock) occurring naturally and large plantations of spruce and pine on state owned lands. White pine was common prior to European settlement, but due to the high demand for it's clear, light, easily worked lumber, pine stands were removed during the nineteenth century and today is almost totally absent.
Logging has always been an important part of the local economy, utilizing high value hardwoods for sawlogs as well as firewood and softwood poles and pulp.
The world’s finest Sugar maple comes from this part of New York state.
Hunting, trapping and wildlife related recreation such as birdwatching and wildlife viewing are important activities.
Common wildlife includes white tailed deer, beaver, mink, muskrat, squirrel, chipmunk, coyote, fox, skunk, raccoon, porcupine, and woodchuck, and less common but increasingly sighted wildlife includes bear, otter, fisher, and bobcat.
That's not all: Wikipedia contains more information about Otselic, New York
Close places of interest
Lincklaen, New York (8.7 km) Lincklaen is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 396 at the 2010 census. The town was named after Colonel John Lincklaen, an agent of the Holland Land Company and a land owner. The Town of Lincklaen is in the northwest corner of the county, northwest of Norwich. History The town was first settled around 1796. The town was formed from the Town of German in 1823. Parts of the town were removed to form the Town of Pitcher in 1827 and 1833. The 1865 population was 988.
Pharsalia, New York (11.01 km) Pharsalia is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 593 at the 2010 census. Pharsalia is a name related to the location of Julius Caesar's victory over Pompey. The Town of Pharsalia is an interior town of Chenango County, located in the western half of the county, northwest of the City of Norwich. History The town received its first settler in 1797. Pharsalia was founded from part of the Town of Norwich in 1806, but was then called the "Town of Stonington." In 1808, the town was renamed "Pharsalia.
Pitcher, New York (12.76 km) Pitcher is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 803 at the 2010 census. The town is named after Nathaniel Pitcher, a Lt. Governor of New York. The Town of Pitcher is on the west border of Chenango County, west of the City of Norwich. History The town was first settled around 1794. The Town of Pitcher was formed from parts of the Towns of German and Lincklaen in 1827. The size of Pitcher was increased in 1833 with and additional portion of Lincklaen. Geography According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of, all of it land.
Smyrna (village), New York (13.51 km) Smyrna is a village in Chenango County, New York, USA. The population was 213 at the 2010 census. The Village of Smyrna is located in the Town of Smyrna and is near the north border of Chenango County. History The Village of Smyrna was incorporated in 1829. Geography Smyrna is located at (42.686328, -75.571284). According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.6 km²).None of the area is covered with water. The village is located on New York State Route 80 at the junction of County Road 20.
DeRuyter (village), New York (14.29 km) DeRuyter is a village located in the Town of DeRuyter in Madison County, New York, USA. The population was 558 at the 2010 census. The village and town are named after Michiel Adriaenszoon De Ruyter, a famous admiral in the Dutch navy. The Village of DeRuyter is located in the southwest corner of the town of DeRuyter on Route 13. History The village of DeRuyter, incorporated in 1833, was originally called Tromptown. Jan Lincklaen, an agent for the Holland Land Co., whose territory included Cazenovia and areas south, named it.