Olomouc Synagogue

The clickable images and aerial photographs within this page present data related to Olomouc Synagogue. Olomouc Synagogue,, located in Olomouc, Czech Republic, was built in 1897 and was destroyed during a Nazi attack in March 1939.

History

In the late 1850s, Olomouc's "Izraelitische Cultusverein", the religious society, was founded. The institution of regular worship in rented halls in 1859 was due to the efforts of Hermann Zweig and the well-known Jewish scholar and physician Adolf Brecher. These services were officially approved by the authorities in 1860; and in 1863, an entire floor, which was subsequently acquired by the community, was dedicated by the Rev. Dr. Schmiedl, at that time of Prossnitz, and subsequently of Vienna. In 1892, the "Cultusverein" was changed into a "Cultusgemeinde", and its constitution was confirmed two years later in conformity with the law of March 20, 1890. It was then that the notion of building a synagogue arose. In 1894, the community purchased a site adjacent to the Teresian Gate. The handsome new synagogue, designed by Jakob Gärtner (1861–1921), was completed in and duly consecrated by Rabbi Berthold Oppenheim, the first rabbi of the community, on April 11, 1897. A two-story building with flats and offices for administrative use was built adjacent to the synagogue. In 1904, the town of 21,933 had a Jewish population of 1,676. The edifice was one of the biggest and finest synagogues in Czechoslovakia, but was so for only half of a century. On the night of March 15-16, 1939, the synagogue was attacked and burned to ashes. The Nazi instigators refused to let the town’s firemen to extinguish the flames. Looters salvaged what remained of the synagogue's ornaments and furnishings until 1941 when the whole area was transformed into a grassy park.

Street maps and images

The following street maps and aerial photographs on this page can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about Olomouc Synagogue

Weather trend (Czech Republic)

Today's weather conditions can be expected as with a local temperature about °C and a wind speed of km/h. That's not all: Wikipedia contains even more information about Olomouc Synagogue.

Close places of interest

St. Catherine Monastery, Olomouc (0.24 km)

The Monastery of St. Catherine in Olomouc, in the Czech Republic, was founded in 1287 for a community of Dominican nuns in 1287, who occupied it until 1782, when it passed over to the Ursuline nuns. The Ursuline Order remained in the monastery until 1951, when it was suppressed and converted to secular use under the Communist regime. It has been since used by the Regional Museum of Olomouc. Historical aspects The history of the two Orders of nuns who inhabited the monastery was influenced by many important personalities from both sacred and secular circles.

Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc (0.38 km)

The Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc is a Baroque monument in the Czech Republic, built in 1716–1754 in honour of God. The main purpose was a spectacular celebration of Catholic Church and faith, partly caused by feeling of gratitude for ending a plague, which struck Moravia (now in the Czech Republic) between 1714 and 1716. The column was also understood to be an expression of local patriotism, since all artists and master craftsmen working on this monument were Olomouc citizens, and almost all depicted saints were connected with the city of Olomouc in some way.

Red Church (Olomouc) (0.41 km)

Red Church is a former Protestant church in Olomouc, Czech Republic. The church was built in 1901-1902 by German architect Max Löwe. It was used by local German-speaking Protestant congregation of the German Evangelical Church in Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia. After World War II Germans were expelled and the church was shifted to Czech Protestants. In 1959 it was given to the university library and since that time it serves as a magazine for books.

Church of Saint Michael (Olomouc) (0.45 km)

Church of Saint Michael is a Roman Catholic church in Olomouc, Czech Republic. It is one of the most important landmarks of the city. The church, connected originally with the Dominican Order, was constructed in the 13th century and reconstructed to its current Baroque form in 1676-1703 by Giovanni Pietro Tencalla. Stucco ornamentation of the interior was provided by Baltazar Fontana. The church was consecrated on 9 May 1707, however in July 1709 was damaged by the large fire. The church is characterised by its three domes symbolizing the Holy Trinity.

Church of Saint Maurice (Olomouc) (0.51 km)

Church of Saint Maurice is a Roman Catholic church in Olomouc, Czech Republic. It is located in the city centre, near the Horní náměstí ("Upper Square") and remains one of the most important landmarks of the city. It is unknown when exactly the church was constructed. It has two towers – the southern tower dates back to 1403, it is the oldest part of the building; the northern one dates back to 1412. The church was probably consecrated in 1492. The Neo-Gothic main altar was built in 1861. The church is built as arched triple-nave.

Other mentions of Olomouc Synagogue

Do you find this interesting? There may be more material available. You can search the whole index for more information about Olomouc Synagogue.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from various Wikipedia entries. Weather data is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to the services of Google Maps, Bing Maps and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options