Milan, New York
The selectable maps and aerial photographs further below show data about Milan, New York. Milan is a town in Dutchess County, New York, United States. The Town of Milan is in the northern part of the county.
The first settler in the area was Johannes Rowe. The son of a Palatine immigrant, Rowe bought from Robert Livingston and built a stone house in 1766 on what is now Rowe Road near the Milan Town Hall. The remains of the house were photographed in 1940 for the Historic American Buildings Survey.
Town and Post Office est. 1818
The New York State Legislature voted on March 6, 1818 to create the town of Milan from the western part of the Town of North East—to be effective "from and after the last day in March" 1818. The session laws stated that the first town meeting would be held the first Tuesday of April and at the home of Stephen Thorn who was elected Town Supervisor along with John F. Bartlett, Town Clerk.
But the name Milan had appeared in other areas of the state and it was not unusual to take European city names at the time. What is now the City of Syracuse was known as Milan for a brief period between 1809 and 1812. A settlement south of Syracuse was originally called Milan in 1790 before incorporation in 1802 as the Town of Locke. An unincorporated village there continued to be referred to as Milan but gave up its Milan Post Office designation on July 29, 1817, becoming "Locke" Post Office. This cleared the way for the operation of the Milan Post Office on August 14, 1818 at what is now Case's Corners.
So in 1818 the name "Milan" was secured for both the town and one of the hamlet Post Offices.
A town "in-between"
The main thoroughfares for the community ran from the Hudson River to Salisbury, CT and travelers referred to the road as the "turnpike." It later became recognized as the Salisbury Turnpike and sections of the road still exist today and bear that name.
In addition to farming and local mills in Milan, lead and iron were mined in areas around what is now Millerton, NY and Salisbury, CT which was then brought to Livingston's Furnaces at Ancram in Columbia County. Milan was "in-between" those towns and the river and as a result had a great deal of important commercial traffic going east/west through the town.