Latitude: 42.1475

Longitude: -74.6511

Region: --

Margaretville, New York

The selectable images and aerial photographs further below show material related to Margaretville, New York. Margaretville is a village in Delaware County, New York, United States. The population was 596 at the 2010 census.

The Village of Margaretville is in the Town of Middletown. The village is on the border of the Catskill Park. Margaretville is located at (42.147496, -74.651090).According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of, all of it land.

Margaretville was the hometown of Dr. Orvan Hess, inventor of the fetal heart monitor and one of the first doctors to successfully treat a patient with penicillin. Hess' becoming a doctor was inspired by beloved Margaretville physician, Dr. Gordon Maurer.

The village and its surrounding area has been a filming location for scenes from Julian Po (1997), the primary locale for the award winning You Can Count on Me (2000), and a secondary location for Stake Land (2010).

On August 28, 2011 Margaretville sustained major damage from Hurricane Irene, with the highest level of flooding in recorded history.

History

Maps and aerial photographs

The single street maps and pictures on this page can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about Margaretville, New York

Want to read more? Wikipedia contains even more information about Margaretville, New York.

Close places of interest

First Presbyterian Church of Margaretville (0.19 km)

The First Presbyterian Church of Margaretville, now Margaretville New Kingston Presbyterian Church, is located on Orchard Street in Margaretville, New York, United States. It is an ornate wooden church built late in the 19th century. It was built shortly after the congregation was established using the "open plan" interior favored by revivalists of the area as more conducive to worship. A rear wing was built on the church in the 1960s. Besides that modification, it has remained mostly intact since then. In 2004 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Delaware and Ulster Railroad (2.57 km)

The Delaware and Ulster Railroad (DURR) is a heritage railroad based in Arkville, New York. History The last regularly scheduled passenger train over the former Ulster & Delaware Railroad (U&D) tracks was operated between Kingston and Oneonta by the New York Central Railroad on March 31, 1954. The tracks were then cut back to Bloomville in 1965 to make way for construction of Interstate 88 near Oneonta, and for lack of freight business west of Bloomville. Ownership of the tracks passed to Penn Central in 1968, and to the government-backed Conrail on April 1, 1976.

Grants Mills Bridge (7.73 km)

The Grant Mills Bridge, officially the Millbrook Bridge, is a wooden covered bridge over Mill Brook in Hardenburgh, New York, United States. It is one of 29 covered bridges in the state. It was built in 1902 by a pair of local builders in the lattice truss design perfected early in the previous century by Ithiel Town. It was taken out of service in 1964 when Mill Brook Road was relocated a short distance to the south, but remains in excellent condition and is open to foot traffic. In 1999, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Big Indian, New York (8.17 km)

Big Indian is a hamlet within the Town of Shandaken in Ulster County, New York, United States. It is located along State Route 28, within the Catskill Park 17 miles west of Woodstock. The Esopus Creek runs through the area, as Birch Creek feeds in from the north. Big Indian Hollow is located slightly to the west, while Big Indian Mountain sits to the southwest. The community is located at . Origin of name Once a Munsee named Winneesook (the name means "snowfall") lived near Marbletown, New York; because of his height of about seven feet, he was also called Big Indian.

Congregation B'nai Israel Synagogue (9.78 km)

Congregation Bnai Israel Synagogue is located on Wagner Avenue in Fleischmanns, New York, United States. It is a wooden building dating to the 1920s, built two years after local farmers founded the congregation. Originally an Orthodox synagogue, it has since become Conservative. It is the only synagogue in the Catskills with an exposed truss roof. In 2002, the synagogue was added to the National Register of Historic Places, after a multi-year effort by Bernard Rosenberg, the descendant of a founding member.

Other mentions of Margaretville, New York

Do you like this? There may be more material available. You can search the whole index for more content about Margaretville, New York.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia entries. Weather information is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to Google Maps, Bing Maps and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options