John Oliver Secondary School
The selectable images and pictures within this page show material related to John Oliver Secondary School. John Oliver Secondary School is a public secondary school located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, at East 41st Avenue and Fraser Street (between the Vancouver neighborhoods of Kensington-Cedar Cottage, Riley Park-Little Mountain and Sunset). It is named after John Oliver, the Premier of British Columbia from 1918-1927. The school is composed of four main segments: the main building ("A" Building) containing the bulk of the learning areas, including the Auditorium and Learning Commons; a wooden building ("B" Building) affectionately nicknamed "The Barn," due to its appearance, where the Digital Immersion and regular mini school programs are held; a Drama Studio ("C" Building) which allows for several theatre and acting courses; and a concrete building — the engineering building — bisected by a breezeway, with automotive, metal, and wood shops.
John Oliver is a school of approximately 1,114 students attending grades eight to 12 with nearly 70 teachers. The students participate in many extracurricular activities including sports and clubs.
John Oliver Secondary school has a multicultural student population, with a large number of bilingual students. Although the predominant population is reflective of the Indo-Canadian neighborhood it resides in, many other ethnic backgrounds are represented in the school's population.
Street maps and imagesThe single street maps and aerial photographs can be selected for further inspection.
More information about John Oliver Secondary School
Weather trend (Canada)Today's weather conditions can be expected as with a temperature of °C and wind speed over ground of km/h.
The school was originally called South Vancouver High School and began in 1912 as two surplus classrooms on the grounds of Lord Selkirk Elementary at 22nd Avenue and Commercial Street. The following year, when enrolment jumped from 58 to 148, the high school students moved to General Gordon School, which is today known as Sir Sanford Fleming Elementary, located at 49th Avenue and Knight Street. Enrolment continued to increase and a site for a purpose-built high school was chosen near 41st Avenue and Fraser Street. South Vancouver's first, stand-alone high school was built in 1920, and was opened on January 21, 1921 by its new namesake, the Honourable John Oliver, then Premier of BC. By 1926, the enrollment of the school was over 900, and a second building with an additional 8 rooms was built to the west of the main building, on 43rd Ave. This new building, now called "The Barn", is still in existence today. The main part of the current school building was erected in 1950 on 41st Avenue, with the subsequent addition and expansion of technical studies shops, cafeteria and music wing during the following years. The original building burnt down on December 9, 1949.