The maps and pictures on this page show information about Jackson, Michigan. Jackson is a city located along Interstate 94 in the south central area of the U.S. state of Michigan, about west of Ann Arbor and south of Lansing. It is the county seat of Jackson County. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 33,534. It is the principal city of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Jackson County and has a population of 160,248.
It was founded in 1829 and named after President Andrew Jackson.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of, of which, is land and is water.
The maps and aerial photographs can be selected for further inspection.
More information about Jackson, Michigan
On July 3, 1829, Horace Blackman, accompanied by Alexander Laverty, a land surveyor, and an Indian guide forded the Grand River and made camp for the night at what is now Trail and N. Jackson Street. They arrived in Jackson on a well-traveled Indian trail leading west from Ann Arbor. Blackman hired Laverty and Pewytum to guide him west. Blackman returned to Ann Arbor and then Monroe and registered his claim for at two dollars an acre. Blackman returned to Jackson in August 1829, with his brother Russell. Together they cleared land and built a cabin, built on the corner of what would become Ingham and Trail streets. The town was first called Jacksonopolis. Later, it was renamed Jacksonburgh. Finally, in 1838 the town's name was changed to simply Jackson.
Birthplace of the Republican Party – "Under the Oaks"
Jackson is one of the birthplaces of the Republican Party. Undisputed is the fact that the first official meeting of the group that actually called itself "Republican" was held in Jackson under the Oaks on July 6, 1854. A Michigan Historical Marker at what is now the northwest corner of Second and Franklin streets in Jackson commemorates an anti-slavery county convention on July 6, 1854. Meeting outside to avoid a hot, over-crowded hall, the group ultimately selected a slate of candidates for state elections. The marker identifies this as the birth of the Republican Party. The site, an oak grove on "Morgan's Forty", then on the outskirts of town, became known as "Under the Oaks".
Jackson was an early home to the automobile parts industry. Even before Detroit began building cars on assembly lines in 1910, Jackson was busy making parts for cars and putting them together. By 1910, the auto industry became Jackson's main industry. Over twenty different cars were once made in Jackson. Including: Reeves, Jaxon, Jackson, CarterCar, Orlo, Whiting, Butcher and Gage, Buick, Janney, Globe, Steel Swallow, C.V.I., Imperial, Ames-Dean, Cutting, Standard Electric, Duck, Briscoe, Argo, Hollier, Hackett, Marion-Handly, Gem, Earl, Wolverine, and Kaiser-Darrin. Today the auto parts industry remains one of the largest employers of skilled machine operators in Jackson County.
Wikipedia offers even more information about Jackson, Michigan
Close places of interest
WIBM (3.48 km) WIBM is an ESPN Radio branded Sports Talk station in Jackson, Michigan. The station broadcasts at 1450 kHz on the AM dial. Jackson Radio Works owns the station along with news/talk WKHM-AM 970 and hot AC WKHM-FM "K105.3". The WIBM call letters were assigned to Jackson, Michigan no later than 1930. Prior to that, the same call letters were assigned to a portable transmitter in Chicago (1926-28). (They were assigned in order of availability, and have nothing to do with IBM.
Lumen Christi Catholic High School (4.75 km) Lumen Christi Catholic High School is a private Roman Catholic high school located in Summit Township, just outside of Jackson, Michigan, in the United States. Located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lansing, it was established in 1968 from the merger of St. Mary's and St. John's Catholic High Schools. The school currently has an enrollment of 436 students in grades 9-12.
Jackson County Airport (Michigan) (4.76 km)Jackson County Airport, also known as Reynolds Field, is a county-owned, public-use airport located two nautical miles (3.7 km) west of the central business district of Jackson, in Jackson County, Michigan, United States. It is a class D airport with operating control tower. The airport is home to the Jackson College Flight Center and the annual Hot Air Jubilee (airshow). Until 1984, it had commercial services, operated by Republic Airlines and Simmons Airlines and now serves as a general aviation facility.
WJKQ (5.19 km) WJKQ (88.5 FM) was a radio station licensed to serve Jackson, Michigan. The station was owned by Great Lakes Community Broadcasting. The station formerly aired a commercial-free Oldies format with some Christian religious programming; it was then off the air for several months but later returned to the air with the automated, commercial-free adult standards/oldies/light music feed from the Society for Accurate Information and Distribution (SAID) Foundation, with breaks for locally-oriented community programming. It also broadcasts public service programming from NASA, USDA, CDC, etc.
Vandercook Lake, Michigan (5.81 km) Vandercook Lake is an unincorporated community in Summit Township, Jackson County, Michigan. It is also a census-designated place (CDP) for statistical purposes and without any legal status as an incorporated municipality. The population of the CDP was 4,809 at the 2000 census. Geography According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of, of which, of it is land and of it (4.00%) is water. Demographics As of the census of 2000, there were 4,809 people, 1,847 households, and 1,346 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,054.1 per square mile (407.
Other mentions of Jackson, Michigan
Do you want to read more? There may be more content available. You can search the whole database for more content about Jackson, Michigan