Ischua, New York
The selectable maps and aerial photographs further below present facts about Ischua, New York. Ischua is a town in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. The population was 859 at the 2010 census. The Town of Ischua is located in the southeast quadrant of the county. Ischua is also the name of a village in the town. The Town of Ischua is on the eastern border of the county, north of Olean, New York.
The current community of Ischua was first settled around 1812 by Seymore Buton and also visited by Abram Farwell, who would return with his wife Lydia Farwell and their family. The Farwell family has been a part of the history of Ischua for generations since. The Town of Ischua was made in 1846 from a division of the Town of Hinsdale. There was previously another "Town of Ischua" in the county, which has now been succeeded by the Town of Franklinville and the rest of the northern part of Cattaraugus county. When first formed, the present Ischua was known as the "Town of Rice."
ISCHUA was formed from Hinsdale as Rice, Feb. 7, 1846, and the first town meeting was held at the residence of E. Densmore, Feb.24, 1846. The first town officers were Frederick Carpenter, Supervisor; Isaac N. Fuller, Town Clerk; Philo Burlingame, Superintendent of Common Schools; Wm. S. Pitcher, Simon C. Mallory and A. L. Barnard, Assessors; Morgan I. Titus, F. Carpenter, C.C. Hatch and Hiram L. Seavy, Justices of the Peace. Its name was changed March 27, 1855.
The town had its own post office (zip code 14746) until the early 1990s, when it was merged with Hinsdale's.
Street maps and aerial photographsThe listed maps and pictures on this page can be selected for further inspection.
More information about Ischua, New York
The east town line is the border of Allegany County, New York. Ischua lies upon the east border of the county, a little south of the center, and contains 20,540 acres.The surface is a broken and hilly upland, the highest summits being 600 feet above the valleys. The Ischua Creek, which flows south through the center, is the principal stream, having formed the Ischua Valley. The head waters of Five Mile Run are in the south-west part. The soil is chiefly clay, with a thin surface of mold and some gravelly loam.
Facts about the Ischua
Genesee Valley Canal
On 6 May 1836, an act was passed in the New York Legislature authorizing the construction of the Genesee Valley Canal. According to New York State archives, the reservoir supplying the summit level impounded 68,000,000 cubic feet of water. A non-navigable feeder creek carried water to the summit at Hinsdale after crossing Oil Creek on an aqueduct.Want to read more? Wikipedia offers more information about Ischua, New York.