The images and pictures within this page illustrate material related to Hatteras Island. Hatteras Island (historically, Croatoan Island) is a barrier island located off the North Carolina coast. Dividing the Atlantic Ocean and the Pamlico Sound, it runs parallel to the coast, forming a bend at Cape Hatteras. It is part of North Carolina's Outer Banks and includes the towns of Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras. It contains the largest part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. It is almost entirely in Dare County, North Carolina, but there is a very small sliver of about which extends southwest into Hyde County.
The island is one of the longest in the contiguous United States, measuring 42 miles (68 km) along a straight line from end to end, or roughly 50 miles (80 km) along the curve of the land.
Hatteras Island is known for sport fishing, surfing, windsurfing and kiteboarding, and is known as "The blue marlin capital of the world."
Accommodations range from hotels and condos to luxurious oceanfront cottages. Hatteras Island is often used for destination weddings, family reunions, and special events.
According to the United States Census Bureau the island has a land area of 85.56 km² (33.04 sq mi) and a population of 4,001 as of the 2000 census. It lies in parts of Kinnakeet Township and Hatteras Township in Dare County, and Ocracoke Township in Hyde County.
The first British colonists of Roanoke Island (later known as the lost colony) may have relocated to Hatteras Island, then known as Croatoan. Prior to settling on Roanoke Island, the colonists had first settled on Hatteras Island in 1584; and some of them had been living there for two years before a group went on to Roanoke. The first voyage (1584) had been under Arthur Barlowe and Phillip Amadas. The second voyage (1585) had been under Sir Richard Grenville and Ralph Lane. Grenville made his second voyage (1586), to resupply the colonists on Croatoan. A Native American man named Manteo, who was from Croatoan Island, was taken to England and returned before the Roanoke colony was found abandoned. There was a fourth voyage made (1587) under John White —who had also been on prior voyages to the area.
The story of the missing colony began when John White finally returned to Roanoke on a fifth voyage to the colony, a much-delayed re-supply mission arriving in 1590. At that time, the settlement was found abandoned. The only clue to the colonists' whereabouts was the word "Croatoan" found carved into the palasade of the fort. It is logical that the colonists left on Roanoke had gone back to Croatoan, as they had already lived there and had had a strong relationship with the natives, some of whom had visited England.