Glacière (Paris Métro)
The maps and pictures on this page illustrate information related to Glacière (Paris Métro). Glacière is an elevated station of the Paris Métro serving line 6 at the intersection of the Rue la Glacière and the Boulevard Auguste Blanquis in the 13th arrondissement.
The station opened as part of the former Line 2 South on 24 April 1906, when it was extended from Passy to Place d'Italie. On 14 October 1907 Line 2 South was incorporated into Line 5. It was incorporated into line 6 on 12 October 1942. The station is named after the Rue la Glacière (meaning "iceworks street") because, before the invention of the electric refrigerator, ice was collected in the area from the ponds of the Bièvre River during the winter and stored for the summer in wells built for the purpose. It was the location of the Barrière de Glacière (or Barrière de l'Ourcine during the French Revolution), a gate built for the collection of taxation as part of the Wall of the Farmers-General; the gate was built between 1784 and 1788 and demolished in the nineteenth century.