Gare de Paris-Est

The maps and pictures within this page show facts about Gare de Paris-Est. (or Gare de l'Est, "East station" in English) is one of the six large SNCF termini in Paris. It is in the 10th arrondissement, not far from the Gare du Nord, facing the Boulevard de Strasbourg, part of the north-south axis of Paris created by Baron Haussmann. It is one of the largest and the oldest railway stations in Paris, the western terminus of the Paris–Strasbourg railway and the Paris–Mulhouse railway.

History

The Gare de l'Est was opened in 1849 by the Compagnie du Chemin de Fer de Paris à Strasbourg (the Paris-Strasbourg Railway Company) under the name "Strasbourg platform." This platform corresponds today with the hall for main-line trains, and was designed by the architect François Duquesnay. It was renamed the "Gare de l'Est" in 1854, after the expansion of service to Mulhouse.

Renovations to the station followed in 1885 and 1900. In 1931 it was doubled in size, with the new part of the station built symmetrically with the old part. This transformation changed the surrounding neighborhood significantly.

At the top of the west façade of the Gare de l'Est is a statue by the sculptor Philippe Joseph Henri Lemaire, representing the city of Strasbourg, while the east end of the station is crowned by a statue personifying Verdun, by Varenne. These two cities are important destinations serviced by Gare de l'Est.

On 4 October 1883, the Gare de l'Est saw the first departure of the Orient Express for Istanbul.

The Gare de l'Est is the terminus of a strategic railway network extending towards the eastern part of France, and it saw large mobilizations of French troops, most notably in 1914, at the beginning of World War I. In the main-line train hall, a monumental painting by Albert Herter, dating from 1926, illustrates the departure of these soldiers for the Western front.

SNCF started LGV Est Européenne services from the Gare de l'Est on 10 June 2007, with TGV and ICE services to north-eastern France, Luxembourg, southern Germany and Switzerland. Trains are initially planned to run at 320 km/h (198 mph), with the potential to run at 350 km/h (217 mph), cutting travel times by up to 2 hours.

Maps

The maps and pictures can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about Gare de Paris-Est

Weather (France)

Current conditions are reported as with temperature of degrees centigrade and wind speed over ground of km/h.

Train services

The following services currently call at Paris-Est:

Wikipedia offers even more information about Gare de Paris-Est.

Close places of interest

Gare de l'Est (Paris Métro) (0.11 km)

Gare de l'Est (Verdun) is a station of the Paris Métro, serving Lines 4, 5, and 7. It is the fifth busiest station on the network. The station was opened on 15 November 1907 as part of the extension of line 5 from Lancry (now Jacques Bonsergent) to Gare du Nord. The line 4 platforms were opened on 21 April 1908 as part of the first section of the line from Châtelet to Porte de Clignancourt. The line 7 platforms were opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the first section of the line from Opéra to Porte de la Villette.

10th arrondissement of Paris (0.19 km)

The 10th arrondissement of Paris is one of the 20 arrondissements (administrative districts) of the capital city of France. Situated on the right bank of the River Seine, the arrondissement contains two of Paris's six main railway stations: the Gare du Nord and the Gare de l'Est. Built during the 19th century, these two termini are among the busiest in Europe. The 10th arrondissement also contains a large portion of the Canal Saint-Martin, linking the northeastern parts of Paris with the River Seine. Geography The land area of the arrondissement is 2.892 km2 (1.117 sq.

Boulevard de Magenta (0.24 km)

The boulevard de Magenta is located in the Ninth and Tenth arrondissements of Paris, France. It begins at place de la République and 1, rue Beaurepaire, and ends at 1, boulevard de Rochechouart and 53, boulevard de la Chapelle. Etymology It is named after the battle of Magenta, a battle fought on 4 June 1859 near Magenta in Italy. It was a victory by the Piedmontais of the kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia and by the French armée d'Italie under general Mac-Mahon and Napoléon III over the Austrians under Guylay.

Saint-Laurent, Paris (0.24 km)

The Church of Saint-Laurent is a church in the 10th arrondissement of Paris (119, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Martin, 68, boulevard de Strasbourg or 68, boulevard de Magenta). It is built on Paris's north-south axis, linking Senlis and Orléans, as laid out by the Romans in the course of the mid 1st century BC, now marked by the rue du Faubourg-Saint-Martin, rue Saint-Martin, rue Saint-Jacques and rue du Faubourg-Saint-Jacques).

Château-Landon (Paris Métro) (0.27 km)

Château-Landon is a station on line 7 of the Paris Métro in the 10th arrondissement. The station was opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the first section of the line from Opéra to Porte de la Villette. It is named after the Rue Château-Landon, a street which was built on property once owned by a family from Château-Landon in Seine-et-Marne. The street is on the alignment of the Roman road from Lutetia towards the North via Saint-Denis. It is planned to become the end of the future new line (created from the merger of line 3bis and line 7bis) by 2013.

Other mentions of Gare de Paris-Est

Do you want to read more? There may be more content available. You can search the whole index for more content about Gare de Paris-Est.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia articles. Weather information is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to the services of Google, Bing Maps and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options