Edgar Quinet (Paris Métro)
The images and aerial photographs within this page illustrate material about Edgar Quinet (Paris Métro). Edgar Quinet is a station of the Paris Métro serving line 6 at the intersection of the Boulevard Edgar-Quinet, the Rue du Montparnasse and the Rue de la Gaîté in the 14th arrondissement.
The station opened as part of the former Line 2 South on 24 April 1906, when it was extended from Passy to Place d'Italie. On 14 October 1907 Line 2 South was incorporated into Line 5. It was incorporated into line 6 on 12 October 1942. It is named after the Boulevard Edgar Quinet, named after Edgar Quinet (1803–1875), a historian and intellectual who wrote on German history, Christianity and other subjects. The station was the location of the Barrière Montparnasse (known as the Barrière d'Arcueil during the French Revolution), a gate built for the collection of taxation as part of the Wall of the Farmers-General; the gate was built between 1784 and 1788 and demolished in the nineteenth century.