Deutsches Museum

The images and pictures below show information related to Deutsches Museum. The Deutsches Museum (German Museum) in Munich, Germany, is the world's largest museum of technology and science, with approximately 1.5 million visitors per year and about 28,000 exhibited objects from 50 fields of science and technology. The museum was founded on June 28, 1903, at a meeting of the Association of German Engineers (VDI) as an initiative of Oskar von Miller. The full name of the museum in English is German Museum of Masterpieces of Science and Technology (German: Deutsches Museum von Meisterwerken der Naturwissenschaft und Technik). It is the largest museum in Munich.

Museumsinsel

The main site of the Deutsches Museum is a small island in the Isar river, which had been used for rafting wood since the Middle Ages. The island did not have any buildings before 1772 because it was regularly flooded prior to the building of the Sylvensteinspeicher.

In 1772 the Isar barracks were built on the island and, after the flooding of 1899, the buildings were rebuilt with flood protection. In 1903 the city council announced that they would donate the island for the newly built Deutsches Museum. The island formerly known as Kohleninsel (coal island) was then renamed Museumsinsel (museum island).

Maps and aerial photographs

The street maps and images below can be selected for further inspection.
 

More information about Deutsches Museum

Other sites

In addition to the main site on the Museumsinsel, the museum has two branches in and near Munich and one in Bonn.

The Flugwerft Schleißheim branch is located some 18 kilometres north of Munich's city centre close to Schleißheim Palace. It is based on the premises of one of the first military airbases in Germany founded just before World War I. It comprises the old air control and command centre building as well as modern buildings added in the late 2000s after strong endorsement from Franz-Josef Strauss, the then prime minister of the local state of Bavaria, who was a passionate flyer.

The "Flugwerft Schleißheim" displays various interesting airplanes for which not enough room was available at the "Museumsinsel" site in downtown Munich. Among the more prominent exhibits is a Horten flying wing glider built in the 1940s, restored from the few surviving parts. A collection of the German constructions of VTOL (vertical take off and landing) planes developed in the 1950s and 1960s is quite unique. A range of Vietnam era fighter planes as well as Russian planes taken over from East Germany after the reunification are shown. This outstation also features a workshop dedicated to the restoration of all kind of airplanes for the purpose of static display.

The latest branch of the Deutsches Museum, located at Theresienhöhe in Munich, opened in 2003 and is called the Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum and is focused on transportation technology.

The branch located in Bonn was opened in 1995 and focuses on German technology, science and research after 1945.

Oskar von Miller

Wikipedia has even more information about Deutsches Museum.

Close places of interest

Deutsches Patent- und Markenamt (0.22 km)

The Deutsches Patent- und Markenamt (DPMA) or German Patent and Trade Mark Office (GPTO) is the German national patent office, with headquarters in Munich, and offices in Berlin and Jena. In 2006 it employed 2556 people, of which about 700 were patent examiners. Function and status The DPMA is the central authority in the field of intellectual property protection in Germany. Its responsibilities include the granting of patents for the registration of industrial designs, trademarks and designs, as well as for informing the public about existing industrial property rights.

Mariahilfplatz (0.46 km)

The Mariahilfplatz is a town square on the right bank of the River Isar in the district of Au in Munich, Germany. Centrally located in the suburb of Au, the Mariahilfplatz is a well visited and active place. One of the largest fairs in Munich, the Auer Dult, occurs here three times per year. The square is dominated by the neo-gothic Mariahilfkirche (Mariahilf Church) which is situated right in the centre. East of the square behind the monastery of the School Sisters of Notre Dame is the Auer Mühlbach (Millstream of Au), one of the remaining brooks in Munich.

Au-Haidhausen (0.47 km)

Au-Haidhausen is the 5th borough of the German city of Munich, Bavaria. It is formed by the Au and Haidhausen districts. Location Au lies opposite the Altstadt of the city on the easterly plain tract of the Isar. Haidhausen is above Au on the Isar's uplands. Au-Haidhausen borders Bogenhausen to the north, Berg am Laim to the east, Obergiesing to the south, level with the flow of the Isar at Untergiesing, ending in the west at the river. History and description Au and Haidhausen used to be hostel areas for trade workers and day labourers previous to the Münchner Tor.

Auer Dult (0.56 km)

The Auer Dult is a traditional annual market in Munich, Germany, taking place three times per year on the Mariahilfplatz in the Munich district of Au. The first fair of the year, the so-called Maidult (May fair) is held in the first weekend of the month. The Jakobidult takes place in July and the Kirchweihdult occurs in the week after Kermesse. Each one lasts nine days. History The Jakobidult was first established in 1310 on the meadow on which the modern day Sankt-Jakobs Platz was established. From 1791 it occurred on Kaufinger/Neuhauser street.

München Isartor station (0.57 km)

Munich Isartor station is a station opened in 1972 on the Munich S-Bahn on the trunk line between Munich Central Station and Munich East station (Ostbahnhof). It is located below Isartorplatz and the Thierschstraße/Zweibrückenstraße intersection in Munich and is named after the nearby Isartor city gate. It is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 4 station. Like all other stations on the trunk line, it has two entrances.

Other mentions of Deutsches Museum

Au (Munich)

Au is a district in the south eastern plain tract of the German city of Munich in Bavaria. Au extends from the Deutsches Museum in the north and along the Isar up to Wittelsbacherbrücke (Wittelsbacher Bridge) in the south. In the centre of the area the Auer Dult takes place three times a year on the Mariahilfplatz, which is the largest annual market in Munich. Bordering boroughs of the city are Ludwigsvorstadt-Isarvorstadt and Altstadt-Lehel on the western side of the Isar, Untergiesing-Harlaching in the south and Giesing in the south-east.
Do you want to read more? There may be more information available. You can search the whole library for more content about Deutsches Museum.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia entries. Weather information is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to Google Maps, BING and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options