The selectable maps and pictures below show data related to Coventry, New York. Coventry is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 1,655 at the 2010 census. The town is named after Coventry, Connecticut by settlers from New England.
The Town of Coventry is in the south part of Chenango County and is northeast of Binghamton.
The first settlement occurred around 1785 near the current Coventry village. Coventry was formed from the Town of Greene in 1806. In 1843, the area of the town was increased from parts of Greene and the Town of Oxford.
Due to poor soil conditions, dairy herding was prominent from the pioneer days, leading to five butter and cheese factories in the town at one time in the past.
The District School 4 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Maps and images
The listed street maps and aerial photographs can be clicked for further inspection.
More information about Coventry, New York
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of, of which, of it is land and of it (0.27%) is water.
Part of the south town line is the border of Broome County.
Conjoined New York State Route 41 and New York State Route 206 intersect New York State Route 235, a north-south highway, at Coventry village.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,589 people, 577 households, and 428 families residing in the town. The population density was 32.6 people per square mile (12.6/km²). There were 757 housing units at an average density of 15.5 per square mile (6.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.06% White, 0.25% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.06% Asian, and 0.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.94% of the population.
There were 577 households out of which 36.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.0% were married couples living together, 5.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.8% were non-families. 19.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.8% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 9.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 105.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $35,769, and the median income for a family was $38,906. Males had a median income of $30,272 versus $19,946 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,807. About 10.7% of families and 14.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.4% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
Want to read more? Wikipedia offers even more information about Coventry, New York
Close places of interest
Afton (village), New York (11.42 km) Afton is a village in Chenango County, New York, USA. The population was 822 at the 2010 census. The village is named after the poem "flow gently sweet Afton" referring to the River Afton in Ayershire, Scotland. The Village of Afton is located in the Town of Afton and is northeast of Binghamton, New York. History The first settlement in the town, around 1786, was near the site of the village. Ebenezer Landers built a home on the East side of the river. The home was later acquired by Dr. Carlton J. H.
Nineveh, New York (11.69 km) Nineveh is an unincorporated hamlet with about 50 homes on the banks of the Susquehanna River in New York. It is part of the Town of Colesville, Binghamton metropolitan area in eastern Broome county. Nineveh is located on the USGS Afton quadrangle at an elevation of about 960 feet. Nineveh takes its name from ancient Nineveh, the most important city on the Tigris River in the ancient kingdom of Assyria (now Iraq). Nineveh is located along the tracks of the Delaware and Hudson Railway and has a distinct trestle located there.
Bainbridge (village), New York (12.19 km) Bainbridge is a village in Chenango County, New York, USA. The population was 1,355 at the 2010 census. The Village of Bainbridge is near the center of the Town of Bainbridge and lies between Binghamton and Oneonta. History The first settlement of the village site occurred around 1789. The village was incorporated in 1821. It was once the home for production of Elmer's Glue. In 1982, many of its historic buildings were included in the Bainbridge Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places. The Charles C. Hovey House and Strong Leather Company Mill was listed in 1996.
Greene (village), New York (12.23 km) Greene is a village in Chenango County, New York, USA. The population was 1,580 at the 2010 census. The village is named after General Nathanael Greene. The Village of Greene is within the Town of Greene and is northeast of Binghamton, New York. History The village was the site of the first settlement in the town, around 1792 by Stephen Ketchum, and was originally called "Hornby." The town later, in 1806, changed the name to that of the Revolutionary War general. The Village of Greene was laid out in 1806 and incorporated in 1842.
Oxford (village), New York (16.3 km) Oxford is a village in Chenango County, New York, USA. The population was 1,450 at the 2010 census. The village is named after Oxford, Massachusetts, the hometown of the landowner. The Village of Oxford is in the northern part of the Town of Oxford, southwest of the City of Norwich. History The village was founded by its first settlers in 1791, including landowner Benjamin Hovey (1758–1811), a later business partner of Aaron Burr and cousin Theodore Burr. The former Chenango Canal passed through the village, connecting the community to Utica and Binghamton.