The images and aerial photographs further below show data about Claverack, New York. Claverack is a town in Columbia County, New York, United States. The population was 6,021 at the 2010 census. The town name is a corruption for the Dutch word for "Clover Fields" or "Clover Reach".
The Town of Claverack is centrally located in the county, east of the City of Hudson.
The town was formed in 1778 from the older "District of Claverack." In 1782, the town lost some of its land to the new Town of Hillsdale. The town was reduced again in 1785 to form the City of Hudson. In 1779 Washington Seminary was founded in the town by the local Dutch Reformed pastor. Prominent former students at the school include U.S. President Martin Van Buren. In the nineteenth century the school was renamed in Claverack College, and it closed in 1902.
Past residents of note
Maps and aerial photographs
The street maps and pictures can be selected for further inspection.
More information about Claverack, New York
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of, of which is land and (0.63%) is water.
The Claverack Creek runs through the township starting out in the Hamlet of Mellenville running southwest before turning north and going into Stockport Township.
The Taconic State Parkway passes through the town.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,401 people, 2,485 households, and 1,669 families residing in the town. The population density was 134.3 people per square mile (51.9/km²). There were 2,839 housing units at an average density of 59.6 per square mile (23.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.95% White, 3.31% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.78% from other races, and 1.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.47% of the population.
There were 2,485 households out of which 29.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.4% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.8% were non-families. 26.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.96.
Wikipedia has more information about Claverack, New York
Close places of interest
Claverack-Red Mills, New York (2.29 km) Claverack-Red Mills is a census-designated place (CDP) in Columbia County, New York, United States. The population was 913 at the 2010 census. The census region is in the western part of the Town of Claverack and derives its name from the two hamlets of Claverack and Red Mills. This place has a number of historic buildings, including the Harriet Phillips Bungalow. From 1779 to 1902 the Claverack College operated in the village. Geography Claverack-Red Mills is located at (42.225214, -73.721449).
Reformed Dutch Church of Claverack (3.18 km) The Reformed Dutch Church of Claverack is located on New York State Route 9H at the north end of the hamlet of Claverack, New York, United States. It is a brick church built in the mid-18th century and renovated and expanded twice in the 19th, reaching its present form in 1879. The congregation was founded in 1716. It is the oldest institutional building in Columbia County. In 2001 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, along with several of its other buildings and cemetery.
Shaw Bridge (3.37 km) Shaw Bridge, also known as Double-Span Whipple Bowstring Truss Bridge, is a historic bridge in Claverack, New York, United States. It carried Van Wyck Lane over Claverack Creek, but is now closed to all traffic, even pedestrians. It is "a structure of outstanding importance to the history of American engineering and transportation technology." Specifically designed by John D. Hutchinson, the bridge employs the basic design of Squire Whipple. It is the only extant double-span Whipple bowstring truss bridge in the U.S. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Philmont, New York (4.35 km) Philmont is a village in Columbia County, New York, USA. The population was 1,379 at the 2010 census. The Village of Philmont is located in the northeast corner of the Town of Claverack on Route 217. History The community was also known as "Factory Hill" due to the number of wool factories. The village was incorporated in 1891. It derives its name from George P. Philip who built a 36 acre reservoir to provide water for his mill. This in turn led to construction of a 56 acre reservoir up the "mountain" in the Taconic Mountains to guarantee water to the mills thus creating the factory hill.
WZCR (6.06 km) WZCR (93.5 FM, "Oldies 93.5") is an oldies radio station licensed to Hudson, New York, and serving Columbia and Greene counties as well as the upper Hudson Valley, the southern Capital District, and Berkshire County, Massachusetts. The station is owned by Clear Channel Communications and broadcasts from a tower located near the Hudson River in Hudson. History WZCR signed on in 1969 as WHUC-FM, sister to WHUC and the first FM station between Kingston and Albany.
Other mentions of Claverack, New York
Do you want to read more? There may be more information available. You can search the entire library for more content about Claverack, New York