Cité (Paris Métro)

The selectable images and aerial photographs on this page show material about Cité (Paris Métro). Cité is a metro station on Line 4 of the Paris Métro in the 4th arrondissement of Paris.

Location

Cité station lies underneath the Île de la Cité, one of two islands on the Seine within the historical boundaries of Paris. In relation to the rest of the city, it lies within the 4th arrondissement, near Kilometre Zero, the official geographical and historical centre of Paris. The only station on the Île de la Cité, it lies near many famous landmarks, the most famous being the Cathedral of Notre Dame. To the west are the Sainte-Chapelle chapel and the Palace of Justice, while Notre Dame and the Hôtel-Dieu are to the east.

Street maps and images

The listed maps and images can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about Cité (Paris Métro)

Weather trend (France)

Today's weather conditions can be expected as with a local temperature about °C and a wind speed of km/h.

History

The station was opened on 10 December 1910 as part of the connecting section of the line under the Seine between Châtelet and Raspail.

The station was renovated in 1991, and its lighting is green.

Station layout

Similar to most Paris Métro stations, Cité utilises a side platform setup with two tracks. Unlike other stations on Line 4, the platforms are in length, longer than the 90-105m platforms at other stations. Access to Cité station is provided by a singular entrance at 2 Place Louis Lépine, the main square in the centre of the island.

Because of the station's depth, passengers must walk down to a mezzanine level, which contains ticket machines and fare control, and then another three flights of stairs before reaching platform level. As the Paris Métro runs inversely to normal railways in the rest of France, the eastern track is used by trains heading northbound to Porte de Clignancourt and the western southbound to Porte d'Orléans.

Want to read more? Wikipedia has more information about Cité (Paris Métro).

Close places of interest

Île de la Cité (0.1 km)

The Île de la Cité is one of two remaining natural islands in the Seine within the city of Paris (the other being the Île Saint-Louis). It is the centre of Paris and the location where the medieval city was refounded. The western end has held a palace since Merovingian times, and its eastern end since the same period has been consecrated to religion, especially after the 10th century construction of a cathedral preceding today's Notre Dame.

Prefecture of Police of Paris (0.1 km)

The Prefecture of Police of Paris, headed by the Prefect of Police (Préfet de police), is an agency of the Government of France (and part of the French National Police) which provides the police force for the city of Paris and the surrounding three suburban départements of Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis, and Val-de-Marne. It is also in charge of emergency services, such as the Paris Fire Brigade, and performs administrative duties, such as issuing ID cards and driver licenses or monitoring alien residents.

Palais de Justice, Paris (0.11 km)

The Palais de Justice, located in the Île de la Cité in central Paris, France, is built on the site of the former royal palace of Saint Louis, of which the Sainte Chapelle remains. Thus the justice of the state has been dispensed at this site since medieval times. From the sixteenth century to the French Revolution this was the seat of the Parlement de Paris. The Palais also contains the ancient structure of the Conciergerie, a former prison, now a museum, where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before being executed on the guillotine.

Sainte-Chapelle (0.13 km)

La Sainte-Chapelle (The Holy Chapel) is a royal medieval Gothic chapel, located near the Palais de la Cité, on the Île de la Cité in the heart of Paris, France. Begun some time after 1239 and consecrated on 26 April 1248, the Sainte-Chapelle is considered among the highest achievements of the Rayonnant period of Gothic architecture. Its erection was commissioned by King Louis IX of France to house his collection of Passion Relics, including Christ's Crown of Thorns - one of the most important relics in medieval Christendom.

Conciergerie (0.14 km)

La Conciergerie is a former royal palace and prison in Paris, France, located on the west of the Île de la Cité (literally island of the city). It is part of the larger complex known as the Palais de Justice, which is still used for judicial purposes. Hundreds of prisoners during the French Revolution were taken from La Conciergerie to be executed on the guillotine at a number of locations around Paris. The Middle Ages The west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was initially known as Le Palais de la Cité.

Other mentions of Cité (Paris Métro)

Do you like this? There may be more information available. You can search the entire database for more content about Cité (Paris Métro).

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from various Wikipedia entries. Weather data is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to Google, BING and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options