Barbès – Rochechouart (Paris Métro)

The images and aerial photographs below show information about Barbès – Rochechouart (Paris Métro). Barbès – Rochechouart is a station on Paris Métro Line 2 and Line 4 at the point where the 9th, 10th, and 18th arrondissements all share a single point. The station is at the junction of Boulevard Barbes, named for the revolutionary, Armand Barbès, Boulevard de Rochechouart, named for the abbess, Marguerite de Rochechouart, Boulevard de la Chapelle and Boulevard de Magenta.

The station is the former location of the Barrière Poissonnière, a gate in the Wall of the Farmers-General built for the collection of excise taxes (the octroi). The gate was built between 1784 and 1788, and it was demolished in the nineteenth century.


The elevated line-2 station was opened on 31 January 1903 as the Boulevard Barbès station, as part of the extension of line 2 from Anvers to Bagnolet (now called Alexandre Dumas). It was renamed to its current name eight days later. Line 2 descends into a tunnel to the west of the station. The underground line-4 station was opened on 21 April 1908 as part of the first section of the line from Châtelet to Porte de Clignancourt.

The disastrous fire of 10 August 1903 that resulted in eighty deaths at Couronnes station began here.

Also, in 1941, Colonel Pierre-Georges Fabien shot and killed a German soldier in the station, marking the beginning of the armed Résistance in Paris.

Maps and aerial photographs

The street maps and pictures can be selected for further inspection.

More information about Barbès – Rochechouart (Paris Métro)

Weather (France)

Current conditions of the weather are described as with local temperature about degrees centigrade and a wind speed of km/h.

Station layout

Wikipedia has more information about Barbès – Rochechouart (Paris Métro).

Close places of interest

Château Rouge (Paris Métro) (0.35 km)

Château Rouge is a station of the Paris Métro, serving Line 4 in the 18th arrondissement of Paris. The station was opened on 21 April 1908 as part of the first section of the line from Châtelet to Porte de Clignancourt. The station is named for the Place du Château Rouge, named for a handsome residence of red bricks built nearby in 1760 and demolished in 1875. The nearby Goutte d'Or district is a very vibrant and multicultural area and the Rue Dejean street market operates every day except Monday.

Théâtre Verlaine (0.38 km)

The Théâtre Verlaine was a theater located at 66 rue de Rochechouart in the 9th arrondissement of Paris. It opened in 1946 with 750 seats. In 1953 it was renamed the Théâtre des Arts and remained open until 1969 under the direction of Alexandra Rouba-Jansky.

Boulevard de Rochechouart (0.39 km)

The Boulevard de Rochechouart is a street in Paris, France situated at the foot of Montmartre and to its south. Like the neighbouring street, it is named after Marguerite de Rochechouart de Montpipeau (1665–1727), abbess of Montmartre. It is a result of the 1864 merging of the boulevards and chemins de ronde which followed the interior and exterior of the Wall of the Farmers-General. It has also been known as the boulevard des Poissonniers, chemin de ronde de Poissonnière and chemin de ronde de Rochechouart.

Anvers (Paris Métro) (0.42 km)

Anvers (Sacré-Cœur) is a station on Paris Métro Line 2, on the border of the 9th and the 18th arrondissements in Montmartre. The station was opened on 21 October 1902 as part of the extension of line 2 from Étoile. It was the eastern terminus of the line until its extension to Bagnolet (now called Alexandre Dumas) on 31 January 1903. The station is named after the Place d'Anvers and the city of Antwerp (Anvers in French).

Saint-Bernard de la Chapelle Church (0.43 km)

The Church of Saint-Bernard de la Chapelle or simply Saint-Bernard-de-la-Chapelle, is a neo-gothic Roman Catholic church in the Goutte d'Or neighborhood of the 18th arrondissement of Paris, located at the intersection of the Rue Saint-Bruno and the Rue Affre. Until 1860, the Goutte d'Or formed part of the commune of La Chapelle, and was thus served by the historic village Church of Saint-Denys de la Chapelle, where Joan of Arc paused when entering Paris in 1429.

Other mentions of Barbès – Rochechouart (Paris Métro)

Do you want to read more? There may be more information available. You can search the entire library for more content about Barbès – Rochechouart (Paris Métro).


Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia entries. Weather data is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to Google Maps, BING and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options