Baldwin, Chemung County, New York
The clickable images and pictures further below show data about Baldwin, Chemung County, New York. Baldwin is a town in Chemung County, New York, United States. The population was 832 at the 2010 census. The town name is derived from Thomas and Waterman Baldwin, two of the earliest settlers of the area.
While it is most likely that hunters and trappers passed though the area in earlier years,Baldwin was first settled around 1813, credit given to Charles and Warren Granger as being the first white settlers to the area. The brothers put down roots on what was first called "Hammond Corners" and would later become North Chemung. The trek to their new home would have been difficult, due in part to thick virgin forest and ravines as well as swampland thick with underbrush.
Soon after the Granger brothers Henry Tice came to Hammond Corners with his family from Ulster County in downstate NY in 1815. Also in 1815 came Jason Hammond with his five sons, Elisha, James, Robert, David and Cornelius. In the years that followed many more families came from New England including Peter McCumber for whom the area known as "McCumber Corners" is named. Other families were the Whitakers, Collsons, Browns, Elstons, Drakes and many more. Many of these families still reside in the township or have close ties.
The first church society was organized in 1818 with worship services being held in various citizen's homes. It wasn't until 1852 that a church was built to serve all different faiths of the community. This church is the one that is still in use in North Chemung known as the United Methodist Church. In 1910 a church was built in Hicks and it too continues to be used.
The first school in Baldwin was started in 1819 with the children taught by John Tuthill Jr in a cabin owned by John Brooks. The first school house was built in 1821 at the corner of the North Chemung Cemetery. In 1869 new schoolhouse was later built across the road where the building remains still. It has been a store, a private home and now belongs to the United Methodist Church primarily used to house the local food pantry.
- First child born - Simeon Hammond in 1815
- First death - Thomas Weaver (killed by a falling log) in 1820
- First Wedding - Nicholas Patterson to Anna Tice in 1818
- First Local Physician - Doctor J.W. Moore in 1836
- First Mail Service - In 1843 Anthony Collson, Postmaster
The Town of Baldwin was founded by an act of the state legislature on April 7, 1856 from part of the Town of Chemung. The first town meeting was held May 6, 1856 at the house of Daniel R Harris, innkeeper. William H Little was elected Town Supervisor, Johnson Little as Town Clerk, Daniel R Harris as Commissioner of the Highways, William R Drake, William and Jeremiah McCumber as Justices of the Peace.