Latitude: 39.2903

Longitude: -76.6011

Region: --

B'nai Israel Synagogue (Baltimore, Maryland)

The selectable maps and aerial photographs further below present facts related to B'nai Israel Synagogue (Baltimore, Maryland). B'nai Israel is a Modern Orthodox synagogue located in the historic Jonestown neighborhood of east downtown Baltimore, Maryland (later known also as Old Town) and northeast of the Inner Harbor (originally known as the Basin of the Patapsco River).It is at the historic synagogue on Lloyd Street and Watson Street (between East Baltimore and Lombard Streets). It is among the oldest synagogue buildings still standing in the United States.

It is noted for its Moorish Revival architecture. The Aron Kodesh is an architectural fantasy in carved wood, with the cabinet in which the Torah scrolls are stored flanked by a pair of tall minarets.

The congregation was founded in 1873, after withdrawing from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation composed of earlier immigrant German Jews and founded in 1830 which was now considered to be too liberal and modernistic. The present building was erected in 1876. It was later sold in 1895 to the B'nai Israel ("Sons of Israel") congregation which was chartered as a "Russian Congregation" by its predominantly Russian-Jewish congregants, though many congregants were of Polish-Jewish descent as well. B'nai Israel is one of two synagogues in the collection of the Jewish Museum of Maryland.

The building was erected by Congregation Chizuk Amuno and sold to B'nai Israel in 1895.

The shul is popular with medical and graduate students at the Johns Hopkins and U. Maryland medical campuses who live in Harbor East.

Street maps and aerial photographs

The listed maps and pictures on this page can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about B'nai Israel Synagogue (Baltimore, Maryland)

Want to read more? Wikipedia offers more information about B'nai Israel Synagogue (Baltimore, Maryland).

Close places of interest

Flaghouse Homes (0.17 km)

The Flaghouse Homes was a Baltimore Public Housing Project built in 1955. They were located in the Jonestown section of Southeast Baltimore North of Little Italy and East of downtown bounded by Pratt Street on the South, Baltimore Street on the North, Central avenue on the East and President Street on the West. They were demolished in 2001. Trivia The Flaghouse Homes are shown in Homicide: Life on the Street but are mistakenly called the Perkins Homes, a nearby housing project.

Jonestown, Baltimore (0.22 km)

Jonestown is a neighborhood in the southeastern district of Baltimore. Its boundaries are the north side of Pratt Street, the west side of Central Avenue, the east side of Fallsway, and the south side of Orleans Street. The neighborhood lies north of the Little Italy, south of the Oldtown, west of the Washington Hill, and east of the Downtown Baltimore neighborhoods. Jonestown is a historical section of southeast Baltimore established in 1732 that was laid out on dived into twenty lots on the east side of the Jones Falls.

Flag House Courts (0.22 km)

Flag House Courts was a public housing project located in Baltimore, Maryland. Comprising three 12-story buildings, and multiple low-rise units. Flag House was built in 1955. The project had recreational facilities with bingo and dances, a swimming pool, and a basketball court. However, the complex had problems from its opening. Elevators broke down often, trapping riders for hours. Residents were forced to run fans (even during winter) because a faulty heating system made the buildings unbearably hot. In addition, there were the problems of crime and drug dealing.

Baltimore International College (0.27 km)

The Baltimore International College (BIC), founded in 1972, is a private, non-profit college located in Baltimore, Maryland, that grants specialized degree programs in Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management. It is accredited by the American Culinary Federation and will lose its accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools August 31, 2011 due to unaddressed issues from its 2007 review.

1840s Carrollton Inn (0.34 km)

The 1840s Carrollton Inn and Plaza, located in Baltimore, Maryland consists of two historic buildings and their complementary 1980 additions built to resemble the previous federal style buildings. The oldest of the row house buildings dates back to the late 18th century and anchors the east side of the block containing the Carroll Mansion (not part of the inn), the winter home of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Other mentions of B'nai Israel Synagogue (Baltimore, Maryland)

Do you like this? There may be more content available. You can search the entire database for more material about B'nai Israel Synagogue (Baltimore, Maryland).

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from various Wikipedia entries. Weather data is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to Google Maps, Bing Maps and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options