5th arrondissement of Paris

The maps and aerial photographs within this page show facts about 5th arrondissement of Paris. The 5th arrondissement of Paris (also known as "arrondissement du Panthéon") is one of the 20 arrondissements (administrative districts) of the capital city of France.

Situated on the left bank of the River Seine, it is one of the central arrondissements of the capital. The arrondissement is notable for being the location of the Quartier Latin, a district dominated by universities, colleges, and prestigious high schools.

The 5th arrondissement is also one of the oldest districts of the city, dating back to ancient times. Traces of the area's past survive in such sites as the Arènes de Lutèce, a Roman amphitheatre, and the Thermes de Cluny, a Roman thermae.

Geography

The 5th arrondissement covers some 2.541 km² (0.981 sq. miles, or 628 acres) in central Paris.

Maps and aerial photographs

The maps on this page can be selected for further inspection.
 

More information about 5th arrondissement of Paris

Weather (France)

Current conditions of the weather can be expected as with temperature about degrees centigrade and wind speed of km/h.

Demography

The population of the arrondissement peaked in 1911 when the population density reached almost 50,000 inhabitants per km². In 1999, the population was 58,849, while 48,909 worked in the arrondissement.

Historical population

Immigration

History

The Ve arrondissement is the oldest arrondissement in Paris, and was first built by the Romans.

The construction of the Roman town Lutetia dates back from the 1st century BC, which was built after the conquest of the Gaulish site, situated on the île de la Cité by the Romans.

Government and infrastructure

The Ministry of Higher Education and Research has its head office in the arrondissement.

Map

Cityscape

Places of interest

Religious buildings

  • Saint-Ephrem church
  • Saint-Étienne-du-Mont church
  • Saint-Jacques-de-Haut-Pas church
  • Saint-Jean-l'Evangéliste church
  • Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre church
  • Saint Médard church
  • Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet church
  • Saint-Séverin church
  • La Grande Mosquée (Great Mosque of Paris), created in 1922 after World War I, as a sign of recognition from the nation to the fallen Muslim tirailleurs who lost their lives at Verdun and in the take-back of Douaumont fort)
Wikipedia has even more information about 5th arrondissement of Paris.

Close places of interest

Institute of Higher International Studies (0.04 km)

The Institute of Higher International Studies (French: Institut des Hautes Études Internationales, commonly referred to as "IHEI") is a public institution of research and higher education in Paris, France. It was founded in 1921 by Paul Fauchille and Albert de Lapradelle. It is now affiliated to Panthéon-Assas University.

Cujas Library (0.05 km)

Cujas Library, named after the French jurist and scholar Jacques Cujas (1520–1590), is an academic research library, and the largest law library in Europe. It is located in the Latin Quarter, next to the Panthéon and Sainte-Geneviève Library, in the 5th arrondissement. History Cujas Library was originally the library of the Law School of the University of Paris (which dates back to 1215). The collections of the library were dispersed during the French Revolution . Consequently the current collections have been built since 1829 only.

Lycée Louis-le-Grand (0.09 km)

The Lycée Louis-le-Grand is a public secondary school located in Paris, widely regarded as one of the most rigorous in France. Formerly known as the Collège de Clermont, it was renamed in King Louis XIV of France's honor after he visited the school and offered his patronage. It offers both a sixth-form college curriculum (as a lycée with 800 pupils), and a post-secondary-level curriculum (classes préparatoires with 900 students), preparing students for entrance to the elite Grandes Écoles. Students at the Lycée Louis-le-Grand are called magnoludoviciens.

Rue Saint-Jacques, Paris (0.1 km)

The Rue Saint-Jacques is a street in the Latin Quarter of Paris which lies along the cardo of Roman Lutetia. The Boulevard Saint-Michel, driven through this old quarter of Paris by Baron Haussmann, relegated the roughly parallel rue Saint-Jacques to a backstreet, but it was a main axial road of medieval Paris, as the buildings that still front it attest. It was the starting point for pilgrims leaving Paris to make their way along the chemin de St-Jacques that led eventually to Santiago de Compostela.

Sainte-Geneviève Library (0.1 km)

Sainte-Geneviève Library is a public and university library in Paris, which inherited the collection of the Abbey of St Genevieve. The library contains around 2 million documents. History The Sainte-Geneviève Library inherited the writings and collections of one of the largest and oldest abbeys in Paris. Founded in the sixth century by Clovis I and subject to the rule of St Benedict, the abbey was initially dedicated to the apostles Peter and Paul. In 512 the body of St Genevieve, later the patron saint of Paris was buried there and in time became the new dedication.

Other mentions of 5th arrondissement of Paris

Do you want to read more? There may be more information available. You can search the whole database for more information about 5th arrondissement of Paris.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia articles. Weather data is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to the services of Google, Bing Maps and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options