3rd arrondissement of Paris

The selectable maps and pictures below present material related to 3rd arrondissement of Paris. The 3rd arrondissement of Paris, situated on the right bank of the River Seine, is the smallest in area after the 2nd arrondissement. The arrondissement contains the northern, quieter part of the medieval district of Le Marais (while the 4th arrondissement contains Le Marais' more lively southern part, notably including the gay district of Paris). The oldest surviving private house of Paris, built in 1407, is to be found in the 3rd arrondissement, along the rue de Montmorency.

The ancient Dutch quarter, the Pletzel (פלעצל, little place in Yiddish) which dates from the 13th century begins in the eastern part of the 3rd arrondissement and extends into the 4th. It is home to the Musée d'art et d'histoire du judaïsme and the Agoudas Hakehilos synagogue designed by the architect Guimard. Although trendy boutiques are now taking up many of the storefronts, there are still landmark stores selling traditional Dutch foods.

A small but slowly expanding Chinatown inhabited by immigrants from Wenzhou centers on the rue au Maire, near the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers housed in the medieval priory of Saint-Martin-des-Champs.

Geography

With a land area of 1.171 km2 (0.452 sq.miles, or 289 acres), the 3rd arrondissement is the second smallest arrondissement in the city (after the 2nd arrondissement).

Street maps

The single maps and pictures can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about 3rd arrondissement of Paris

Forecast (France)

Today's conditions are described as with a temperature about °C and wind speed of km/h.

Demography

The area now occupied by the third arrondissement attained its peak population in the period preceding the re-organization of Paris in 1860. In 1999, the population was 34,248, while the arrondissement hosted a total of 29,723 jobs.

Historical population

¹

Immigration

Map

Places of interest

Want to read more? Wikipedia offers even more information about 3rd arrondissement of Paris.

Close places of interest

École Duperré (0.16 km)

The Duperré School of Applied Arts is a public high school of art and design. The school is located in the Rue Dupetit-Thouars, in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, near the Carreau du Temple, in the heart of Le Marais. Duperré School trains students for creative careers in fashion and textiles, but also in environmental and graphic design. In addition it has training programmes for designer-makers in textiles (embroidery, weaving and tapestry) and ceramics.

Temple (Paris) (0.17 km)

The Temple was a medieval fortress in Paris, located in what is now the IIIe arrondissement. It was built by the Knights Templar from the 12th century, as their European headquarters. In the 13th century it replaced earlier works of the Vieille Temple (Old Temple) in Le Marais. Parts of the fortress were later used as a prison. The enclosure (called enclos du Temple) originally featured a number of buildings important to the running of the order, and included a church and a massive turreted keep known as Grosse Tour (great tower), and a smaller tower called Tour de César (Caesar's Tower).

Rue Pastourelle (0.22 km)

Rue Pastourelle is a street in the third district (or arrondissement) of Paris. Its nearest metro stations are Arts et Métiers and Saint-Sébastien - Froissart. It starts at Rue Charlot and ends at Boulevard du Temple. The street is named for Roger Pastourelle who lived here in 1378 when he was a member of the French parliament.

Temple (Paris Métro) (0.31 km)

Temple is a station on Paris Métro Line 3. It opened on 19 October 1904 as part of the first section of the line opened between Père Lachaise and Villiers. It is named after The Temple, a long-demolished Templar fortification that once stood in the square named for it.

Théâtre Déjazet (0.33 km)

The Théâtre Dejazet is a theatre on the boulevard du Temple (popularly known as the 'boulevard du crime’) in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris. It was originally founded in 1770 by Comte d'Artois who later was crowned Charles X, but it was then closed down and not reopened until 1851. At that time it became a café-concert called the Folies-Mayer, on the site of a former jeu de paume (tennis court). It was converted into the Folies-Concertantes in 1853, and reopened as the Folies-Nouvelles on 21 October 1854.

Other mentions of 3rd arrondissement of Paris

Do you like this? There may be more content available. You can search the whole library for more information about 3rd arrondissement of Paris.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from various Wikipedia articles. Weather data is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to the services of Google Maps, BING and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options