19th arrondissement of Paris

The images and pictures below illustrate information related to 19th arrondissement of Paris. The 19th arrondissement of Paris is one of the 20 arrondissements (administrative districts) of the capital city of France.

Situated on the Right Bank of the River Seine, it is crossed by two canals, the Canal Saint-Denis and the Canal de l'Ourcq, which meet near the Parc de la Villette.

The 19th arrondissement includes two public parks: the Parc des Buttes Chaumont, located on a hill, and the Parc de la Villette, which is home to both the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie, a museum and exhibition centre, and the Conservatoire de Paris, one of the most renowned music schools in Europe and part of the Cité de la Musique.

Geography

The land area of the arrondissement is 6.786 km2 (2.62 sq. miles).

Maps and images

The street maps and pictures can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about 19th arrondissement of Paris

Weather (France)

Current weather conditions are reported as with local temperature of degrees centigrade and a wind speed over ground of km/h.

Demographics

The population of the 19th arrondissement is still increasing. At the last census, in 1999, the population was 172,730 inhabitants. As of the same census, 68,101 people worked in the arrondissement.

19th Arrondisement Network

The 19th Arrondissement Network was a group of militant French Muslims who were tried and convicted of recruiting approximately a dozen Frenchmen to fight for insurgent forces in the Iraq War. The group is referred to by this name since a large portion of its members were from this neighborhood of Paris.

The leader of the group, Farid Benyettou, was arrested in January 2005, ending the group's operations. Benyettou was a self-taught preacher of the Salafist branch.

Places of interest

Wikipedia contains even more information about 19th arrondissement of Paris.

Close places of interest

Parc des Buttes Chaumont (0.24 km)

The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont is a public park situated in northeast of Paris, in the 19th arrondissement. Occupying 24.7 hectares, it is the fifth-largest park in Paris, after the Bois de Vincennes, the Bois de Boulogne, the Parc de la Villette, and the Tuileries Garden. It was opened in 1867, late in the regime of Emperor Napoleon III, and was built by Jean-Charles Alphand, who created all the major parks of Napoleon III. The park has 5.5 kilometers of roads and 2.2 kilometres of paths.

Laumière (Paris Métro) (0.36 km)

Laumière is a station of the Paris Métro, serving line 5. The name refers to the Avenue de Laumière, named for Xavier Jean-Marie Clément Vernhet de Laumière, a general who was killed in the French intervention in Mexico in the 19th century.

Buttes Chaumont (Paris Métro) (0.43 km)

Buttes Chaumont is a station on 7bis of the Paris Métro in the 19th arrondissement, on the Avenue Simon Bolivar, near the Parc des Buttes Chaumont, which it is named after. While the line that it is on opened as a branch of line 7 from Louis Blanc to Pré Saint-Gervais on 18 January 1911, the opening of the station was delayed by 13 months to 13 February 1912 due to the difficulty of its construction in a backfilled quarry. As a result the station is built with arches over each of the tracks to strengthen the station box.

Bolivar (Paris Métro) (0.55 km)

Bolivar is a station on 7bis of the Paris Métro in the 19th arrondissement, on the Avenue Simon Bolivar. History The station was opened on 18 July 1911, six months the opening of a branch of line 7 from Louis Blanc to Pré Saint-Gervais on 18 January 1911. On 3 December 1967 this branch was separated from line 7, becoming line 7bis. The Avenue Simon Bolivar is named after Simón Bolívar (1783–1830), "liberator" of several South American countries. During the World War I, the station, like other deep metro stations was converted into an air raid shelter.

Botzaris (Paris Métro) (0.55 km)

Botzaris is a station on the Paris Métro, serving Line 7bis in the 19th arrondissement, named after Markos Botsaris, a hero of the Greek War of Independence. East of this station Line 7bis becomes a unidirectional loop. The station was opened on 18 January 1911 with the opening of the line that it is on as a branch of line 7 from Louis Blanc to Pré Saint-Gervais. Because the station is built in a backfilled quarry, it was built with arches over each of the tracks to strengthen the station box. On 3 December 1967 this branch was separated from line 7, becoming line 7bis.

Other mentions of 19th arrondissement of Paris

Do you want to read more? There may be more material available. You can search the whole index for more material about 19th arrondissement of Paris.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia entries. Weather information is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to the services of Google, Bing Maps and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options