18th arrondissement of Paris

The maps and pictures within this page illustrate data related to 18th arrondissement of Paris. The 18th arrondissement (XVIIIe arrondissement), located on the Rive Droite (Right Bank), is one of the 20 arrondissements of Paris, France. It is mostly known for hosting the district of Montmartre, which contains a hill dominated by the Sacré Cœur basilica, as well as the famous Moulin Rouge.

The 18th arrondissement also contains the African and North African district of Goutte d'Or which is famous for its market, the marché Barbès, where one can find various products from that continent.


The land area of this arrondissement is exactly 6.005 km2 (2.319 sq. miles, or 1,484 acres).

Maps and images

The listed street maps and aerial photographs below can be clicked for further inspection.

More information about 18th arrondissement of Paris

Weather forecast (France)

Current weather conditions can be expected as with temperature of degrees centigrade and wind speed over ground of km/h.


The population of Paris's 18th arrondissement peaked in 1931 with 288,810 inhabitants. Today, the arrondissement remains very dense in population and business activity with 184,586 inhabitants and 70,285 jobs as of the most recent census (1999).

Historical population


In 2012 John Henley of The Guardian said the 18th arrondissement was "an area comparable in many ways to London's Tower Hamlets."


Places of interest

The Serbian Orthodox Diocese of France and Western Europe has its headquarters in the arrondissement.

Districts within the 18th arrondissement

  • Montmartre
  • Pigalle
  • Goutte d'Or, a working-class neighborhood in the arrondissement
  • Quartier de La Chapelle


Dailymotion has its headquarters in the arrondissement. In addition, Dargaud also has its headquarters there.

Wikipedia contains even more information about 18th arrondissement of Paris.

Close places of interest

Jules Joffrin (Paris Métro) (0.04 km)

Jules Joffrin is a station on Line 12 of the Paris Métro in the Clignancourt district and the 18th arrondissement. It is located in Montmartre, between the town hall of the 18th arrondissement and the Notre-Dame de Clignancourt church. The station opened on 31 October 1912 as part of the extension of the Nord-Sud company's line A from Pigalle. It was the northern terminus of the line until 23 August 1916 when it was extended to Porte de la Chapelle. On 27 March 1931 line A became line 12 of the Métro.

Notre-Dame de Clignancourt (0.11 km)

Notre-Dame de Clignancourt (Our Lady of Clignancourt) is a Roman Catholic church located in the 18th arrondissement of Paris. Completed in 1863, the church takes its name from Clignancourt, a small village in the commune of Montmartre that was annexed to Paris in 1860. It was one of three new parishes created to accommodate the growing population in the northern edge of the city. The cornerstone was laid by the French city planner Georges-Eugène Haussmann in 1859. It was designed in the Neo-Romanesque style by Paul-Eugène Lequeux and completed in 1863.

Clignancourt porcelain (0.13 km)

Clignancourt porcelain, also "Porcelaine de Monsieur", was a type of French hard-paste porcelain, established by Deruelle in January 1775 at Rue de Clignancourt, Paris. Soon after, the manufacturing patent was transferred to Monsieur, the King's brother, and future Louis XVIII. The porcelain was then called Porcelaine de Monsieur.

Simplon (Paris Métro) (0.31 km)

Simplon is a station of the Paris Métro, serving line 4 in the 18th arrondissement of Paris. The station was opened on 21 April 1908 as part of the first section of the line from Châtelet to Porte de Clignancourt. It takes its name from the Rue du Simplon, named after the Simplon Pass in the Lepontine Alps, location of one of the longest railroad tunnels in the world. On 6 August 2005, a train passing through Simplon station caught fire. The station closed for refurbishment and re-opened in February 2006.

Musée d'Art Juif (0.35 km)

The Musée d'Art Juif is a private museum of Jewish art located at 42, rue des Saules, in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, France. It is open daily except Friday, Saturday, and Jewish holidays. The nearest Paris Métro station is Lamarck – Caulaincourt on Line 12. The museum was established in 1948 in the Montmartre district of Paris as an homage to the Jewish culture destroyed by the Holocaust. Its first collections were religious objects donated in 1951 by the Jewish Restitution Successor Organization, and subsequently a document collection focusing on European synagogue architecture.

Other mentions of 18th arrondissement of Paris

Le Bateau-Lavoir

Le Bateau-Lavoir is the nickname for a building in the Montmartre district of the 18th arrondissement of Paris that is famous in art history as the residence and meeting place for a group of outstanding early 20th-century artists, men of letters, theater people, and art dealers. It is located at No. 13 Rue Ravignan at Place Emile Goudeau, just below the Place du Tertre. A fire destroyed most of the building in May 1970 and only the façade remained, but it was completely rebuilt in 1978. History The name Le Bateau-Lavoir was coined by French painter Max Jacob.
Do you want to read more? There may be more material available. You can search the whole library for more material about 18th arrondissement of Paris.


Text based information has been extracted from thousands of Wikipedia articles. Weather information is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to the services of Google Maps, BING and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options