10th arrondissement of Paris

The clickable images and pictures below show material about 10th arrondissement of Paris. The 10th arrondissement of Paris is one of the 20 arrondissements (administrative districts) of the capital city of France.

Situated on the right bank of the River Seine, the arrondissement contains two of Paris's six main railway stations: the Gare du Nord and the Gare de l'Est. Built during the 19th century, these two termini are among the busiest in Europe.

The 10th arrondissement also contains a large portion of the Canal Saint-Martin, linking the northeastern parts of Paris with the River Seine.

Geography

The land area of the arrondissement is 2.892 km2 (1.117 sq. miles, or 715 acres), and it had a 1999 population of 89,695.

The 10th arrondissement is often referred to as l'Entrepôt. Like all Parisian arrondissements, it is divided into four quartiers (districts):

  • Saint-Vincent-de-Paul, the 37th quartier, has 21,624 people in an area of 92.7 hectares
  • Porte-Saint-Denis, the 38th quartier, has 15,066 people in an area of 47.2 hectares
  • Porte-Saint-Martin, the 39th quartier, has 23,125 people in an area of 60.9 hectares
  • Hôpital-Saint-Louis, the 40th quartier, has 29,870 people in an area of 88.4 hectares

Street maps and images

The listed street maps and aerial photographs can be clicked for further inspection.
 

More information about 10th arrondissement of Paris

Weather trend (France)

Today's weather conditions can be expected as with a local temperature of °C and a wind speed over ground of km/h.

Demography

The peak population of the 10th arrondissement occurred in 1881, when it had 159,809 inhabitants. Today, the arrondissement remains very dense in both population and business activity, with 89,612 inhabitants and 71,962 jobs at last census in 1999.

Historical population

Immigration

Map

Cityscape

Places of interest

Mains streets and squares

Streets

That's not all: Wikipedia contains even more information about 10th arrondissement of Paris.

Close places of interest

Gare de l'Est (Paris Métro) (0.08 km)

Gare de l'Est (Verdun) is a station of the Paris Métro, serving Lines 4, 5, and 7. It is the fifth busiest station on the network. The station was opened on 15 November 1907 as part of the extension of line 5 from Lancry (now Jacques Bonsergent) to Gare du Nord. The line 4 platforms were opened on 21 April 1908 as part of the first section of the line from Châtelet to Porte de Clignancourt. The line 7 platforms were opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the first section of the line from Opéra to Porte de la Villette.

Saint-Laurent, Paris (0.08 km)

The Church of Saint-Laurent is a church in the 10th arrondissement of Paris (119, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Martin, 68, boulevard de Strasbourg or 68, boulevard de Magenta). It is built on Paris's north-south axis, linking Senlis and Orléans, as laid out by the Romans in the course of the mid 1st century BC, now marked by the rue du Faubourg-Saint-Martin, rue Saint-Martin, rue Saint-Jacques and rue du Faubourg-Saint-Jacques).

Boulevard de Magenta (0.09 km)

The boulevard de Magenta is located in the Ninth and Tenth arrondissements of Paris, France. It begins at place de la République and 1, rue Beaurepaire, and ends at 1, boulevard de Rochechouart and 53, boulevard de la Chapelle. Etymology It is named after the battle of Magenta, a battle fought on 4 June 1859 near Magenta in Italy. It was a victory by the Piedmontais of the kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia and by the French armée d'Italie under general Mac-Mahon and Napoléon III over the Austrians under Guylay.

Gare de Paris-Est (0.19 km)

(or Gare de l'Est, "East station" in English) is one of the six large SNCF termini in Paris. It is in the 10th arrondissement, not far from the Gare du Nord, facing the Boulevard de Strasbourg, part of the north-south axis of Paris created by Baron Haussmann. It is one of the largest and the oldest railway stations in Paris, the western terminus of the Paris–Strasbourg railway and the Paris–Mulhouse railway. History The Gare de l'Est was opened in 1849 by the Compagnie du Chemin de Fer de Paris à Strasbourg (the Paris-Strasbourg Railway Company) under the name "Strasbourg platform.

Prison Saint-Lazare (0.25 km)

The Prison Saint-Lazare was a prison in the Xe arrondissement of Paris, France. History Originally a leprosarium founded on the road from Paris to Saint-Denis at the boundary of the marshy area of the former River Seine bank in the 12th century. It was ceded on 7 January 1632 to St. Vincent de Paul and the Congregation of the Mission he had founded. At this stage it became a place of detention for people who had become an embarrassment to their families: an enclosure for "black sheep" who had brought disgrace to their relatives.

Other mentions of 10th arrondissement of Paris

Do you find this interesting? There may be more material available. You can search the whole index for more content about 10th arrondissement of Paris.

Sources

Text based information has been extracted from various Wikipedia entries. Weather information is provided by OpenWeatherMap. Location distances have been calculated based on Wikipedia information. Thanks to Google Maps, BING and OSM (Open Street Map) for map related material.

More options